Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Turn off the TV
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there more than fire roads on this trip? How much gear would you recomend? We are planning on going in the beginning of July. Personaly I'm a bit on the fence as 7 days of fire road riding does not sound to appealing really. Opinions would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
SMT42 said:
Is there more than fire roads on this trip? How much gear would you recomend? We are planning on going in the beginning of July. Personaly I'm a bit on the fence as 7 days of fire road riding does not sound to appealing really. Opinions would be great. Thanks
Yes, it is mostly forest service roads.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've not done the trip personally, but worked at the resort in Gateway, which was day five of the trip. This was about two years ago and what I heard from all the riders was that the vast majority of the riding was forest service road. Sounded like the trip would be just as suited to a cx bike with panniers (extreme touring!) as a regular mtn bike. I've heard internet rumors that that more singletrack has been added, but the bulk is still roads.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I did this trip in September of '07 - and yes, it is almost all forest roads. There is some singletrack, and it is excellent - especially when you ride it on a loaded bike! How much gear you carry is really up to you to decide. I carried more than I needed, but I figured that "it was a vacation" and I didn't want to live too spartan. Also, I was the "mechanic" of the trip, so I had a lot of tools and carried some spares for the group. If you have gotten into shape it's not really a big deal except for the end of the first day for a really tough 1/4 mile. Very end of August/beginning of September is probably the best time to go it you can. I had an excellent time, but a lot of that was due to the people that I went with. We all were friends who got along and nobody stressed about the little stuff. It was a blast, actually - one of the best trips I have done, ever - and I've done quite a few. The riding is not particularly challenging, but part of it was just being "out there" for a week with little civilization or cares other than when you would eat, when you wanted to stop to take a picture or regroup, figuring out the directions at times, etc... The food was good and that also depends on how much people like to cook, etc... The huts are stocked well enough that you can make a pretty decent to excellent meal, if the personnel have the culinary flair. The only hut that "sucked" was the Gateway hut, and we rode into town and ate at a real restaurant that night. Day three was pretty bad with Logging Trucks in one area, but other than that, the route is not too bad. You could do it on a 'cross bike, but put the biggest tires on that you can - some of the roads are bumpy and some are also very soft in places. A few creek crossings and if it rains you could be in for some mud. Also, the botton mile of the descent to Gateway was foot-deep sand that would have been a hike on a CC bike, even with 35's on it. Rigid 29" worked great, with 2.3" tires. Soaked up the washboard and rolled through the soft stuff like nothing. Have fun - I recommend the trip, unless you are looking for technical riding - then just schedule a week at a destination spot like Fruita or Moab, St George, etc...

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have never done the trip but am familiar with the area. For me, fire road riding has little apeal. Why not spend a week split between Telluride and crested butte. Moab and fruita will be way too hot. Generally by early july the alpine is starting to open up.
BSG

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
It depends on what you are looking for - I'd rather spend my time on trails too - but have been to both Moab and CB, Fruita and other places multiple times. The thing that is nice about a trip like a hut trip, is that you are really away from things for a week. No phone calls, no e-mail in the lobby, no car - just what you can carry on your bike, the huts have food and bunks. Except for the night in Gateway, you don't even have to think about where you want to go for dinner, just cook up something there. Life feels very uncomplicated. It's just different. The trip will probably be warm in July - CB or someplace may be perfect - or it may still be snowy... If you have 3 or more friends to do it with the hut trip rocks. If not, go with one or two and hit a destination spot IMO.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Sounds good to me

How nice would it be to wake up and know all you had to do this day is ride you mountain bike.........not drive somewhere to ride ,not call somone to ride with, not worry about getting back at a certain time..........and for the East coast riders the scenery out west is awesome. Now how about doing it for 7 days:thumbsup:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think it is all in what kind of experience you're looking for. If you want to rip singletrack day in and day out then this trip is certainly not for you!
On the other hand if your looking for a multi-day backcountry biking experience where all you have to worry about for 7 days is pedal-eat-sleep and enjoy the incredible surrounding of the mountain's and desert then this is it. With this trip you go as light or heavy as you want but you must carry it. There are singletrack alternates on several of the days but your always riding in the mindset that you are in the backcountry and if you damage yourself or your bike you are in trouble. That's the great thing about this trip, total seclusion and incredible scenery.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
motobutane said:
How nice would it be to wake up and know all you had to do this day is ride you mountain bike.........not drive somewhere to ride ,not call somone to ride with, not worry about getting back at a certain time..........and for the East coast riders the scenery out west is awesome. Now how about doing it for 7 days:thumbsup:
Sounds like you want to ride the Kokopelli with Hermosa Tours!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.