Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the summer (back on June 31st) I was downhilling with some of my friends and I crashed off of a skinny and landed straight on my back. The wind was knocked out of me for the longest it ever has been and I could not bend all the way to look behind me. This injury followed me up until the little league world series. I had to get x-rays done to see if I was able to work. The x-rays came back and nothing was broken but now when I lay or sit down and relax my chest it seems like there is a great weight on my chest and it hurts the back of my ribs. I had to discontinue weight lifting because it was almost unbearable after each workout. Has anyone had the same problem with having a pain in the back of your chest and is this something that i should go back to my doctor to get it checked out again?

·
Registered
654 Posts
if it has lasted you this long then yes go! If you wait longer it could cause permanent damage. Maybe you displaced a rib who knows. I was biking on time last year and I crashed on a dirt jump and fell right on my butt from about 5 feet up. I compressed my vertebrae near the lower sections and lay down for at least and hour with out getting up cause I was in so much pain. My mom said she wouldn't take me to the hospital because I was my fault for falling, but it took about 3 weeks to heal. I shouldn't take that long to heal, the body is amazingly fast when it comes to patching itself up. Try to see if you can go and see a doctor or maybe if you want to go and see a chiropractor. You may have some vertebrae sections that are off alignment. Thankfully I have my sister to do a quick back cracking and I'm back to normal feeling better the next day.

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
i bruised my ribs twice this past year
both times took about 2 weeks to start feeling better, and about another 2 weeks to completely go away.

after about a month i was able to get back to weight lifting and riding at full strength without any significant discomfort. If your injury is lasting longer than that with a great deal of pain, I'd say you need to get a thorough checkup.

·
Gold it's the new Pink!
535 Posts
Go to a good Chiropractor. I hurt my Sternum last year and waited it out. A week later I had what I thought was a heart attack and evven got an EKG. All from a fall.

Crimson

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I cracked 3 ribs a few years ago snowboarding, Dr Mom said suck it up (lol no she concluded they were brused) went in for a physical the next year, and the Doc said hey whats that bump on your chest....got xrays and low and behold 3 hairline fractures ahd healed...man did she ever feel bad :eekster:

so moral of the story...go get it checked again

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
mommy

idaho biker 90 said:
if it has lasted you this long then yes go! If you wait longer it could cause permanent damage. Maybe you displaced a rib who knows. I was biking on time last year and I crashed on a dirt jump and fell right on my butt from about 5 feet up. I compressed my vertebrae near the lower sections and lay down for at least and hour with out getting up cause I was in so much pain. My mom said she wouldn't take me to the hospital because I was my fault for falling, but it took about 3 weeks to heal. I shouldn't take that long to heal, the body is amazingly fast when it comes to patching itself up. Try to see if you can go and see a doctor or maybe if you want to go and see a chiropractor. You may have some vertebrae sections that are off alignment. Thankfully I have my sister to do a quick back cracking and I'm back to normal feeling better the next day.

I hurt my ribs years ago (in the early days of freeriding) after a wheelie drop went terribly wrong.
I remember having pain for months when ANY pressure was placed on my chest. It didn't hurt when I breathed...so I'm assuming they were'nt broken.

A question for you youngsters:
Why is it that 2 posts on this thread mention the mothers intentional stance of not taking their kids to the doctor?
Is it because you dudes are always getting hurt and it never turns out to be serious?
Just curious....

S

·
0 Posts
I have both broken and bruised ribs from riding. Each time they take longer and longer to heal.

When I broke 3 ribs around 2004, they hurt like hell for almost 9 months. Everything hurt, breathing, moving, sleeping all seemed like someone had just kicked me in the chest.

I bruised those same ribs earlier this year and it was a good 4 months before they started feeling better.

If you feel that they are not getting any better after this long, then definitely get back to the Dr. and have them re-examined. I could be that a rib is out a alignment, or that you damaged the cartilage that holds the ribs in place.

·
RIDE DIRT
198 Posts
haha I had to convince my mom that I didn't need to go to the hospital. Now I have a scar that
occasionaly tears, and I wish I had listened to her.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i've been taking x-rays for 2 years now, and alot of my patients who come in with rib pain actually have torn cartilage in their intercostal joint, which is the cartilage between your ribs, it tends to hurt when they take a deep breath and has a feeling of pressure when lying on their back. the only way to diagnose that though would be to get an MRI

·
Registered
654 Posts
freerider... my mom is very sympathic but she said wait it out for like 3-4 days before she'd think about taking me to the ER. I have been to the ER only twice and one was an almost death event.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
I hit a tree over the summer.
Mach 4

Fractured my ribs (looked like spider webs on the Xray)

Took it easy for 2-3 weeks, back on a bike. (bad decision) If I get hit in the ribs it hurts like a mother f*cker....

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
When I first started riding in college, I crashed really bad and ended up cracking a rib on my left side. Didn't go to the Dr, just sucked it up and ate a bunch of my girlfriend's painkillers. To this day I can feel a weird lump on my ribcage from where it healed funny/not properly.

I can't remember exactly how long it took, but with all the other injuries I got that season, my entire body was in pain for a long time. Got used to it...there have only been three times that I've gone to the Dr for biking related injuries...a broken hand, stitches from splitting my knee open, and about a week ago when I bruised both a tibia and fibia.

Probaby should've gone for the ribs, but some would say that I can be a little stubborn when it comes to injuries...but in your case, I'd definately say......GO!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think fighterkyle got it right - cartilage separation. Feels like broken ribs, but isn't. Hurts like hell for a few months, then stops. Get it checked out though.

EDIT: I managed to do exactly this at Jiminy Peak a while back. Not fun.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all of the advice from personal experience. I think I might ride it out for a couple weeks and see how it goes.

·
Registered
735 Posts
motormonkeyr6 said:
I hit a tree over the summer.
Mach 4

Fractured my ribs (looked like spider webs on the Xray)

Took it easy for 2-3 weeks, back on a bike. (bad decision) If I get hit in the ribs it hurts like a mother f*cker....
Hah, I hit a tree really bad this summer too. 4 broken ribs, dislocated my left hip, seperated my left shoulder, fractured my left radius... It was a bad wreck. I thought after 3 weeks I could take some XC rides. I tried to bunny hop a small log, as soon as I took off my shoulder was screaming at me like "WHAT THE **** DID YOU DO THAT FOR!?!?!?!" And I basically ate **** hard. Took me another two months until I was 100% again.

So to the OP, get it checked out. You don't want to injure yourself more if you really aren't able to ride the way you want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts