Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 363 Posts
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got these awesome bags from Jeff at Carousel Design Works.

pics do not do these bags justice.

seriously

wow!

Jeff makes high quality bags

now i just need to focus on a packing list.

but wow! really they are gorgeous bags.

obviously a super light Adv Touring set up.

Attachments

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Nice. I like the digital camo pattern....

·
Registered
927 Posts
That is an awesome set up. Please post the gear you can pack in all of those bags when you get a chance. I had no idea you there was someone out there building custom bags like those. Thanks for sharing.

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the bags are really awesome!

i've been fussing around with various items to pack.

to add to the equation, i'm supposed to use a light backpack/hydration combo deal.

i picked up a Vaude bag at Sea Otter, something like a larger CamelBak/rock climbing pack.

basically I'll stuff the backpack with lightweight items.

i was amazed to stuff a set of patagonia long johns (top and bottom), 2 sets of REI boxer briefs, 2 pair of soxs, a beanie, a MSR water filter, a SnowPeak solo cookset with micro stove and fuel, plus some oatmeal and tea... all in the seatbag. and that was just cramming thing in there, not particularly well thought out...
plus the seatbag has some bungee netting on the under side to lash things down. I dont know what... maybe something like a set of small poles? or maybe more clothing in a bag, or a tarp?

the handle bar bag is awesome too... i stuffed a whole change of cold weather-ish cycling clothes including booties, gortex gloves, etc... and a jacket. plus it has a pocket up front, 1 full flask of Espresso Hammer Gel. plus it has tie downs for something like a jacket or maybe the water filter would be good in that spot.

the "tank bag" has tube, multi tool, patch kit, tire lever, gloves, a mini swiss army knife, and my wallet.
with room to spare.

the top tube bag simply has my digi cam, Canon A640.
also has a room to spare.

the whole of setup is awesome.
its just a matter of picking out the gear to match the trip...

peace...d

·
Registered
168 Posts
This looks great. I also use the CDW-bar and seatpostbags. I have ridden the Alps twice this summer and absolutely loved the bags. The quality of these bags is amazing. Jeff knows what he is doing. I will order a framebag soon, since I regret not having ordered this right away.

You really don't notice the weight even in technical terrain compared to my older setups. Also they make you think twice about packing stuff, since I am known for taking one extra shirt....

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for a few months now, I've been using the Hunter as my "fast bike"
my other rides include a Pug and a new Big Dummy
no car

bikes all the time, etc...

The Hunter has seen plenty of rides with the local club (velo club monterey).

today was a little jaunt with the club from Monterey down HWY 68 passing Laguna Seca, then up the back side of Laureles Grade. new bags, and a hoge poge packing, I was delighted to roll right along in a group.

over the years, i've become accustomed to things like BOB trailers, Xtracycles, panniers, and The Pug.

so The Hunter and CDW bags, to me, its a fast set up.

to the extent that i ended running myself almost to bonking some where's on the back side of Ft. Ord.

i'm very happy with the set up. its simply amazing.

panniers now seem huge.

no rack(s), no bags hanging out wide, and the ride is much more quiet.

in the dirt, the CDW bags are solid. i laffed to myself, after i had done a "horse hop" (flat jump) over a rut, and grabbed some brake going into a turn.

the bike is a obviously a little bit heavier, but the way the weight is distributed, and the solid packing/compressing of the load, makes for a nimble loaded bike.

even getting off the bike, and carrying it over things like dead fall, is much easier compared to any other loaded bike.

with this setup, i can see how truly these bags make the bike much faster, and maneuverable... that is compared to other touring setups.

Attachments

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hjalti said:
Looks good. A little more streamlined than the previous four pannier setup.:thumbsup:
ya... that pannier setup sucked
the lines on this bike just dont take a rack nicely
maybe if i had Rick build up some swank custom racks with curves to match...
maybe then...

but i have The Dummy and other ways to haul things around.

the CDW bags are something totally new (to me)

the challenge is the packing list.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dev,

Very nice bags - I met a guy on my commute that just the Canada - New Mexico adventure race. He would be very interested in the CDW designs for sure. They look very sweet!

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
3 benjamins for the lot.

they are awesome bags!

it took some time to get them, i placed the order sometime around Sea Otter

they are worth the wait. as far as i know, he's doing the work pretty much by himself, and i think his sister-in-law helps out.

what he really likes is a simple phone call.

i traced the outline of the fame, headtube, etc... and mailed it off to him.

to me, its amazing that he can even make a bag to fit something like that from an outline on paper stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
dammit devo! your hunter's too nice...

eet geevs me needs! :thumbsup:

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
byknuts said:
dammit devo! your hunter's too nice...

eet geevs me needs! :thumbsup:
thanks

ya, its a REALLY NICE bike...

whoa... sometimes i trip out that i own it.

its nice, in a trippy way...
i mean... its got bling, and it kind of is roadbike-ish
but of course it goes everywhere... and to me its fast.

its sporty for sure... and i totally dig the style

peace...d

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
I love my CDW bags too!

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
SelfPropelledDevo said:
thanks

ya, its a REALLY NICE bike...

whoa... sometimes i trip out that i own it.

its nice, in a trippy way...
i mean... its got bling, and it kind of is roadbike-ish
but of course it goes everywhere... and to me its fast.

its sporty for sure... and i totally dig the style

peace...d
Yeah I dig that bike a lot too. Have seen pics of it here before, and it got my IneedanotherHunter juices flowing hard. I contacted Rick recently about building me a bike like yours but he never returned my call so I ended up going with a diamond frame Jones instead. He will always be on my short list of one for the *next* bike though.

How's that fork ride anyway? Sure looks nice.

3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
VCM to Big Sur and back

roadie content

today's ride, with my local club
Velo Club Monterey
to Big Sur and back.

after a month on The Dummy, my brain's effort gauge is out of wack

the hills of Humboldt, fresh in my mind, fresh in my legs of cargo carrying/touring

rollin the Hunter with my roadie brethren, at 2pm, me thinks the day is still young.

the luxury of a house, a hot lunch, shower, et al...

a paradigm shift from touring with the dummy

i've been sans job for about 15 months, and oh man... wow! its been great.

just today, riding down to Big Sur, the weather around 65F, clear, hanging out having coffee in the sun, and ride back...

its days like this, that i realize how fortunate I am.

whoa... sure is nice!

peace...d

Attachments

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Big Sur Lodge in Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park?

1 - 20 of 363 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.