Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last minute but anyone going? I'll be down there with my brother, driving a blue Honda Fit riding a silver Ironhorse Yakuza with Red Wheels. Gonna get down there around 11am.

·
Registered
816 Posts
eric -- I was thinking of checking out Hunter this year, unlike Plattekill would Hunter be ridable in most sections with a hardtail? I'm pretty comfortable doing downhill stuff with the hardtail but Plattekill is a different animal altogether (from what everyone says) just wanted to make sure Hunter was "doable" and worth the trip/$ -- it's only about an hour from me.

·
likes bicycles
589 Posts
Eric has taken me to Hunter before, and every time I was on a hardtail. It's all ridable and very sweet. Think technical singletrack all pointing downhill.

The mountain itself is really nice. I was up there when they had the Octoberfest going on. It was pretty sweet cause you'd come down the mountain and be greeted by live music and numerous drunk people. Hunter is an all around stellar day and comes highly recommended by me.

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah its 100% ridable on a hardtail like vitale said. For numerous years I rode a hardtail there and I even have ridden a couple runs on my fully rigid singlespeed. Theres nothing that demands a full squish it just makes it a bit easier on the brain. Also they just cleared out a big network of their XC trails off of Hunter One which if you feel like pedaling a bit they are a blast.

Also the trails were great today really no mud to be found which is unusual early season. I was impressed.

·
likes bicycles
589 Posts
I take it you had a solid day down there.

The Hunter One trails are the trails we tried to hit last year? I think they had a big FR wooden structure going on.

The more trails the merrier.

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah Hunter One is where they have a good selection of XC trails. Its actually where a majority of the old NORBA race course was.

G

·
I saw you and your brother I think. I was on a bue Trek Fuel and your brother was on an Ibex right? I should have checked this board the night before or early that morning so I could have introduced myself. My buddy backed out last minute so I was riding alone and left pretty early. The trails were in great shape.

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup that was us! I bought a season pass so I should be there regularly on the weekends, if you see me again give me a shout I'm always willing to ride with new people. You werent the guy in the white landrover with all the stickers were you? I thought I saw someone unloading a Trek out of that.

G

·
Nope. I was in a Civic. I'll make it a point to take a couple runs with you when I see you there again. I plan on going a few times this season too. The kid in the shop told me they are adding new stuff throughout the summer which should be nice.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Hunter

Haven't been yet this year. Last time I went there was some kind of German-Fest going on and that was awesome too! Lots of food and beer as far as the eye could see!

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah there festivals are awesome, good food and drink like you said plus all the people looking at you like your nuts from the lift. I'll be up there (well down for me) tomorrow again so if anyone sees me just give me a holler. Blue Honda Fit and riding an Ironhorse Yakuza with red wheels, my brother will be on his blue Ibex Asta.

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was good today but they need some rain, the trails are getting loose and really dusty.

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nah no pics yet, its too early we are still in "Hooray Hunter is open again" mode and dont have time for pictures lol. I'll def get some pics/video up in the near future.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Germanfest

I checked their site and the Germanfest is the weekend of August 9th and 10th. I'm not working that weekend so I'm planning to go up for that.

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yup just weekends no holidays. I'll be there again tomorrow most likely anyone else thinking of going?

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jiminy is a good bit more technical than Hunter, but Hunters trails seem to be designed to allow faster riding. Hunter offers more out of the woods open ski trail/single track riding than Jiminy but also has a good bit of in the woods stuff as well. I like both of them but I tend to go to Hunter more because my brother isn't too comfortable on the Steeper stuff at Jiminy. Its a great mountain if you wanna day of longer runs with high speed flowing downhill, but not the place to go to if you are looking for really tough features and big drops.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.