Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I rode Bear, Potato Patch, Pinhoti, and then Blankets on the way home. Its a tough job....

This morning driving up the cove leading to the trailhead parking to Bear. Parking is by that white whatever center low, in the pic. The ride puts me at the very top and distant ridgeline to the Cohutta wilderness.

Where is everyone? Oh yea..its Wed. hehe

Empty Bear prim camping area. Just a black dog and noone to be found.

After climbing a FS rd a couple miles and starting up from the bottom of Bear..you come to where Bear goes up/right, and Pinhoti up/left. Today I'll first climb Bear, then on higher to Potato Patch Gap, then back down and climb the Pinhoti.

Just some trail pics.

Obligatory self pic. Yes, I have way too much time...

Still climbing...

The upper lookup. The weather sucked today.

More climbing. Up from the lookup to Potato Patch Gap(900' more vertical for 2 miles). I hate this climb for the most part. Its steep, all gravel, hot, and dusty. Great exercise tho.:)

Note the trees are getting thin once again, as I get higher.

More pics a-com'n...

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
How timely!

Duckman said:
Today I rode Bear, Potato Patch, Pinhoti,
Sweet! I'm planning to do the same route next weekend and was going to ask on the SORBA board about the Bear Creek/Pinhoti intersection. Guess I don't have to do that now. :) How long is the route and how long did it take if you don't mind? I'll need to give an estimate of when I'll be back home.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So I get up to top. Finally. I've paid my dues, and its time for a break and some eats. I just wanna sit and listen to nothing for awhile, ya know? Not a person for miles probably...

Then, like a minute later....these dudes come driving up..whipped out 2 weedeaters and tractor LOL! Great...:( I want that job. I could do that. Anyhoo, it then was time to smoke back down to the bottom. 2100' and an 7 mile descent:)

Did I mention the weather?

Other then the grass cutting dudes, this was the only person seen. 66yrs old on a steel HT and some noisy King hubs:). Sure hope I'm riding by then. Lives just a few miles down the road in Ellijay.

The Pinhoti and a relatively new trail. Its sweet. Makes Bear worth it now. Before it wasn't enough mileage. It turns a 10 mile in/out into a loop of 15 miles.

Watch for the blind dropaway switchbacks. Theres like 5 of them heading west.

At the bottom finally. Everythings turning green again.

Then after crossing a new bridge, you climb up to this, then its grassy gated doubletrack for like a mile. Then left on FS68 again...bigringing it all the way..left onto the pavement and hit the bigring again..back to your car .2 mile later(thats for you Wooglin). Killer ride.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Its 15 miles if you go to the upper lookout of Bear..then back down..then up and over on the Pinhoti..left onto the FS rd and back to your car at the paved rd/entrance to the FS rd. About 2.5 hours if your just riding and not hammering. I lollygaged along, took pics, rode to the top for more mileage(21 total, then 10 more at Blankets later today), etc and it took 3.5 hours.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Great pics Duckman. You're pretty lucky to have such great riding so close. It looks like the N GA mountains are experiencing a good Spring - looks fantastic!

·
avg. joe
657 Posts
You're right...

the weather around here absolutely stinks. What is with this low 70s stuff and clear blue sky. The trees are turning this nasty green color...ugg.

Honestly, besides the pollen, the weather COULD NOT have been any better. I spent the afternoon wrenching on my daughters' bikes, relaxing in the driveway, and watching them practice on the teeter that I set up in the yard.

Looks like you had a great day.

Tom

·
Basura Blanca
1,797 Posts
Thanks for the wonderful pics, Duckman. What a great day, having the mountains to yourself. N. Georgia is sure a beautiful place. I believe my best memories of my year at UGA were the times spent goofing off on the weekend up at the Tallulah Gorge. That was a looong time ago before I was biking, but if I ever make it back, I'll be hitting you up for an MTB tour. Happy trails,
- Joe

·
Registered
189 Posts
Awesome pics man

That looks so great to ride and I hope someday I'm able to make it to the south to ride. My buddy has told me alot about it and its looks like some great riding. Its soo green down there too which is also nice. Have a good time riding.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Looks like things dried nicely for the south, I can only hope for the same after this deluge. Great pics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.