Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
skinny-tire said:
You said a mouthful here (with the exception of Gangi's comment about only Cool Kids being able to go back and forth).
Uh...no...Deanna is right. Only Cool Kids know how to go back and forth...and I'm the ultimate Cool Kid. :D

It's been probably 3 months since I've been on the FS, and to be honest, I'm really not looking forward to it, as I'm sure there will be a learning curve.
Jeff - you just proved my point.

Thx...Doug

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
I love riding my Bianchi SS. It's simple and fun. There is no substitute for that.

I think HT's improve your riding technique, and SS improves your ability to conserve momentum. Both make you a better rider on a geared/squish bike.

But I don't feel there is a way to "ride" a squishy geared bike like a SS HT. If you get uncomfortable on a geared bike, you *will* shift down. And when push comes to shove, when the trail gets gnarly you *will* rely on the suspension and forget about picking lines.

That's why I think if you want to improve on a geared/squishy bike, you ride an SS HT as a second bike. Then you have no choice but to suffer with one gear and pick the best lines possible (or pay the price for it). Putting a SS together is cheap -- I built up mine for $1100, and it has some neat-o stuff on it. I could have done it for $600 if I wanted to go full rigid with cheaper parts.

So if you want to learn to ride an SS HT, *get* an SS HT. Don't try to change your habits on the geared bike. The the SS HT do that for you.

Thx...Doug

·
Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
359 Posts
Mine Cost me $850

It's bone stock down to the tires. I'm considering a second wheel set for this bike, stock for commuting and a set of flows with Big Tires.
Single Speeding does indeed make one a better MTBer. You think STAND instead of shift. or pedal faster instead of shift. Recommend having 2 bikes rather than converting on back and forth. My 2 cents:crazy: :crazy:

Attachments

41 - 43 of 43 Posts