Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Sup?
639 Posts
I can get my old Trek 850 antelope back from my dad so
you can go fully rigid... biopace as a bonus!? :thumbsup: :p

no thanks man.. beat the crap out of myself enough on T100
and that bike years ago.. did the HT thing then moved on..

maybe could be talked into a 29'er.. but rigid fork? NFW ;)
coyotekis.. aka diesel is much more gnarcore than I

maybe I'll come back full circle some day..

·
My other ride is your mom
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If I was riding up north....a rigid fork might make more sense....but 80mm of give is just enough to take the harsh out of every cobble in the path and in theory will prevent me from snapping my HT on every G-Out along the way...fully rigid around PHX is effed....of course, I shouldn't knock it until I try it.....

·
aka Diesel
1,249 Posts
skinny-tire said:
It was like I had never ridden a bike before. Granted, I went from 29" wheels, to 26" wheels. But the first gradual climb I attempted, I was in way too big of a gear, and fell over. Needless to say, it took me a ride or two to get used to my other bike.

It's been probably 3 months since I've been on the FS, and to be honest, I'm really not looking forward to it, as I'm sure there will be a learning curve.
Yeah, you know, come to think of it, I took to the SS my very first ride, but going back to an FS, was a much more difficult adjustment. Felt like a tank, and it took a few rides to dial back into shifting, but now I love it. I love both. Now, to just get a downhill bike... :eekster:

·
aka Diesel
1,249 Posts
honemastert said:
maybe could be talked into a 29'er.. but rigid fork? NFW ;)
coyotekis.. aka diesel is much more gnarcore than I
Ha. :D
As if.

But truly, the decision to keep the rigid is all about the climbing for me. I DID try a fork for a few days, and it just changed EVERYTHING about the way the bike felt, so I tolerate the beating on the downhills. We'll see how long my back and I agree on that subject. ;)

·
Glutton for punishment
581 Posts
Paul B said:
I rode rigid SS many years here in PHX and it wasn't bad. You just don't take it EVERYWHERE. Unless you're Alex Hardt.
I rode my rigid SS down Holbert and 24th St - Fast? No way. Doable? Hell yeah. Talk about learning how to ride your bike. I'm riding a 1x9 29er right now and that's been fun.

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
BoKnows said:
Standing up on climbs is what I notice most, and the effect was almost immediate - now I think "ok, stand up" where I used to think "time to shift down..."
hmm, i ride my FS standing up almost all the time (even on climbs), if i decide to get a HT for a 2nd bike, would my style be more suited towards a 26 or 29?
I dont think i'd go so far as to get one without front suspension though, my hands would be shattered at the end of the day...

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
I have been SSing, on a 29er, since 2005 six months after I started MTBing. I own a RFX, One-9 and a RIP and basically spend equal time on each, that was until I put a Alfine hub on the One-9. I did it to haul around my Bob Trailer because I thought the Bob may cause premature wear on suspension pivots. It only takes me a minute or two to put the SS wheel back on.

What I have found is that the Alfine gears are not as close as the regular cassette gearing so I end up riding the Alfine like a SS. I find a gear and I pretty much stay in it. If you get a chance ride a Alpine they are way cool but with a weight penalty. My One-9 went from 22lbs to just shy of 24lbs.

Dean

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
please define SS?

pretty sure HT is hard tail.

I was thinking the opposite the other day, as the guys I ride with have full suspension, that I should give it a try.

But i HAVE gotten comments of "rock on hard tail, oh wait, no suspension? ROCK ON!" coming down National to 48th/Mormon to 24th street trails a few times.

maybe im not missing out on much than

·
"Yabut"
838 Posts
dstepper said:
What I have found is that the Alfine gears are not as close as the regular cassette gearing so I end up riding the Alfine like a SS. I find a gear and I pretty much stay in it. If you get a chance ride a Alpine they are way cool but with a weight penalty. My One-9 went from 22lbs to just shy of 24lbs.

Dean
Dean, in September, Shimano is coming out with an 11 speed Alfine hub. Not only that, but it's lighter, and has helical gears for even smoother shifting. :thumbsup:

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
MyBike'sBroken said:
Dean, in September, Shimano is coming out with an 11 speed Alfine hub. Not only that, but it's lighter, and has helical gears for even smoother shifting. :thumbsup:
how narrow would the chain need to be for that?!?,, it will also incite more spinal tap quotes

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
i think id still rather have a cassette that i can swap out if something goes wonky. even though i do my own maintenence, i have absolutely zero knowledge of an an internally geared hub.,

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
longhairmike said:
i think id still rather have a cassette that i can swap out if something goes wonky. even though i do my own maintenence, i have absolutely zero knowledge of an an internally geared hub.,
Choices of running gears on a One-9 frame are few. Could have gone with a saint that the derailuer mounts to the axle or some frame modifications, then used my Cris King Single Speed hub with 6 rings....Alfine was the simplest solution.

My Alfine is model 500 there is a model 501 out there but at $119 for the hub I gave it a try...glad I did. Not sure I will pay the $250-290 they will want for the 11-speed. Besides I actually like the bigger spread between bears. I run 32/23 and it is geared plenty low, clould use some pavement gears but I hate pavement anyways.

Dean

·
Registered
121 Posts
longhairmike said:
hmm, i ride my FS standing up almost all the time (even on climbs), if i decide to get a HT for a 2nd bike, would my style be more suited towards a 26 or 29?
I dont think i'd go so far as to get one without front suspension though, my hands would be shattered at the end of the day...
I have no idea man. I was referring to the singlespeed aspect when I mentioned that - because my full suspension bike is so nice and squishy, I tended to shift down and stay seated when climbing on it, which usually ended up with me losing my balance and having to bail. When I stated riding the singlespeed, I no longer had the luxury of sitting down because I only had one gear. I noticed how much more power and mobility came with standing up, and so I started standing up on my full suspension bike too.

26 vs. 29 is really all about what feels better to you, I was mostly offering an explanation why I think 29er hardtails and rigids are so popular. If you like to stand up though, going singlespeed might be fun :thumbsup:

You know its funny, my hands definitely suffered the most on my first real ride on the rigid singlespeed - which was not at all what I expected. And I live in Flag, so it wasn't even all that rocky. Its something you learn how to manage in your riding style eventually though.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts