Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ate a big serving of humble pie on my ride this AM. I'm 37, in OK shape, and I have a 2018 120mm "modern geo" bike. Hot ****, right? Well, I just spent 2 hours getting absolutely roasted (uphill and down) by a dude 20 years older than me riding a decade old aluminum XC bike. To add insult to injury, I noticed at the end of the ride that his rear tire was basically bald. It's an odd feeling; both demoralizing and motivating. Anyone else get taken down a peg or two recently?

·
Slowohioboy
162 Posts
It happens all the time... lol.

I was going to start with some excuses but no need to. I was riding recently and ran into a couple guys at the top of the trail and one was significantly older than me. Ended up riding with them for a while and during the downhill were moving pretty well, and I had no issues. Then we got to another climbing section and they literally left me in their dust. They were on new Yeti’s, and I felt horrible cause they actually waited for me at the top. Like your story the older gentleman was more than 20 years older than me.

·
Formerly of Kent
13,082 Posts
I’m a relatively quick guy; I’ve got some top-3, 5, 10 times on some climbs or loops with 10,000+ unique riders, and tens of thousands of attempts.

But, it’s always fun and interesting to see what TRUE talent looks like. Guys who are toeing the line in WC races. A while back, in grad school, I did a couple of collegiate races. A guy who now has a couple of top-40 WC XCO finishes was there and stomped a hole in me. After starting a minute behind me he caught me towards the top of a 12min long hill climb TT. He then almost lapped me in the short track race. He can take turns on XC semi-slicks faster than the vast majority of people can on a DH tire. And of course, produces world class power.

More than a decade ago, I was in a race with a guy who is now a Grand Tour winner. 80km crit, I think, with a crosswind on the long straights. I bridged up to a break he was in, pulled through when I was supposed to. At some point he got bored, and decided it was time to get a workout in. He got to the front and started pulling. One by one, we all got popped off. A guy who weighed 135lbs soaking wet killing 170lb+ guys on a flat road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I'm the old bastard that goes fast!... well 48 this year so old-ish. I can roll xc speed up and dh speed down. I cannot remember a time in the that I've been schooled by someone I don't know.

That said I have a buddy that's next level again. Had he applied himself at an earlier age he would have been a pro I'm sure of it.

Anyway I'm ridding pretty fast feeling good about my speed. Then he turns up to a pedal fest on his dh rig and proceeds to pedal that monster up hills as fast as me on my trail bike. What the actual fark? Then we are riding some crazy arse double black line and he shows up on a single speed dmr from 1998 and proceeds to ride that heap of **** as fast as me only 165/180mm slayer. What sort of magic is this? Makes a mockery of needing flash bikes! . .

No matter how faster you are there is always someone faster. Unless of course you are the fastest guy in the world! Even then ride a different discipline and someone else will be faster than you!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,860 Posts
I'm having the opposite experience right now with racing, but you don't get there without eating a whole lot of humble pie through the experience. Takes a lot of hard work and effort, not just "riding hard" or having some magic "natural ability". You fight for every second and every improvement.

And yeah, there is always someone faster.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
I get this a lot. I ride with one group of people (who aren't bad riders by any means) who think I'm super fast, and I ride with another group of riders that's constantly stopping to wait for me. The slow group can't conceive of a group of riders that much faster than me, but all of these guys raced at some level well above "local hotshot" at one time (placing in nationals, etc) in various disciplines. It's constantly humbling to ride with those guys and learn little tricks from them, but the bottom line is, they're great athletes. I'm mediocre at best. What's really cool is taking one of the slower guys and getting them to a place where they can keep up with me, then introducing them to the fast guys. I can tell when they start to learn from them because then I start struggling to keep up with a guy who used to think I was fast.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,794 Posts
I went to a couple indoor bike parks over the winter with my new dirt jumper, my first bike of this genre. This type of riding is pretty foreign to me. I consider myself a reasonably skilled MTB rider. As I eased my way into these new ramps and jumps I was largely just trying not to hurt myself, or look too stupid.

While watching other riders whip through those places it becomes painfully obvious very quickly that MTB skills have little in common with BMX skills.

Humble pie? Watching a 12 year old female on a BMX bike hit the pro line, sending massive jumps, smooth as butter, sailing 20ft through the air, all without breaking a sweat like it's no big deal.

I eventually worked my way up to the intermediate jump lines but there were 8yo kids hitting bigger lines than I could. Very impressive.

·
Registered
18,598 Posts
Last week I was about to head down a local trail known for high speeds and jumps. I was sitting there thinking to myself that I'm getting pretty good at going fast and hitting jumps when Cam McCaul and some buddies show up (for real). I tucked my tail and rolled away nice and slow.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My brother in law is like that, except he doesn't mountain bike, he's a distance runner that discovered his talent late in life (ran his first marathon at 41, in 2:40). One day he asked me to take him mtn biking. He destroyed every hill we came to, to the point of being in top 5 on strava, and this was his first time mountain biking. Even technical hills, I realized how little technique matters when you can put out massive watts. I could catch him on the downhills, but it was humbling to see what a fairly decent (not even elite level) athlete could do compared to me, an out-of-shape former athlete.

·
slow
7,686 Posts
In our area there are a ton of strong men, women, and youth riders so there is always ample opportunity to eat humble pie. While I am usually that old guy on the 10+ year old hard tail with a bald tire, I still get smoked regularly by much faster riders on local climbs and descents. The examples are too numerous to count, but a few memorable ones include:

-- The NICA high school racing program is strong here, so I often get passed on local trails by kids 1/3 my age.

-- Years ago we did our rides on the same night as one of the local women's MTB clubs. On one of those Tuesday night rides I was passed by one of the ladies (who was 6.5 months pregnant at the time) on a 3.5 mile and 1700' climb. When I ran into her last week, she let me know that her kid is now 18. She is still a strong rider.

-- A women's MTB olympic medalists used to live here in town. She was super friendly and great to visit with during a ride, but she would sometimes blow by me like I was standing still on many of the local climbs if she was on a training ride.

Here is proof of my bald tire from a couple of weeks ago:
Adaptation Soil Woody plant Terrestrial plant Trunk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.