Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Chris King

Votes: 19 51.4%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to build a lightweight rim brake wheelset. I want to use DT revolution spokes, and Sun UFO rims. I may use the Lime-Lights if they are available. Which hubs would you recommend, and why? Any personal experience would be appreciated. I've owned Kings in the past and really liked them, I am leaning towards the 240's just to try something new.

So Choose. . .

Chris King

Choose wisely.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
If you have the $$$

Kings are my pick but I had a bad experience with the one 240 rear hub I owned; it split flange to flange ( but still worked:???: so thats something) My King races came loose a few times until I set them up right and they've been trouble free for 2+ years.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hard to beat

The engagement of the Kings. I have a set of Hope Techs I just built up and they are nice, but not as tight and responsive as the CK's. JMO.

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
sonyisdope said:
I'm going to build a lightweight rim brake wheelset. I want to use DT revolution spokes, and Sun UFO rims. I may use the Lime-Lights if they are available. Which hubs would you recommend, and why? Any personal experience would be appreciated. I've owned Kings in the past and really liked them, I am leaning towards the 240's just to try something new.

So Choose. . .

Chris King

Choose wisely.
I've got the Hugi's. Love them. Easy to service, and no annoying buzz.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
If weight is the overriding concern, then the 240s. Otherwise, King all the way. I have 2 sets of the 240's and two sets of Kings. One of my original 240 rear hubs split at the flange (as was mentioned above). DT replaced it out of warranty which was nice, but my lingering issue with the hubs is not resolved: you cannot repack the bearings. This is inexcusable imo. Water also gets into the star ratchet chamber which bugs me. The Kings are better sealed, have a better engagement system, are burlier all around, and are repackable with very minimal disassembly. They do require you to adjust the bearing preload and some poeple find this difficult or confusing (not sure why).

·
Custom User Title
1,282 Posts
I just built a rear wheel with a King hub. I'm just pissed that I didn't get it years ago. The engagement alone is worth getting it.

And I do like the buzzzz. If your going to through down $$$$ let everyone know it.:thumbsup:

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
The original 240 had issues, the most serious being cracking. The 240s is an improved version of it and I have yet to hear reports of cracked 240s. The DT are also a bit lighter and way cheaper so I would probably pick them over the Kings... The Kings are burlier and quicker though so I think it's worth it if you have the budget.

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting. Such a close poll. . .

Just to clarify-
Money is NOT an issue. Reliability is though. I am actually going to be building this wheelset up for my wife for her birthday. Fortunately she never checks the Wheels and Tires Forum, so she'll never know!

Anyhow, I do value lightweight, but I also realize that a wheelset with either of these hubs is going to turn out pretty lightweight, so I am not that concerned with the weight of the hub. This is the lacing pattern I wanted to do:

Radial Front
Radial Non-drive rear
2x drive side rear
DT revolution spokes

I am also going to be building this wheelset as a wheelset to guide others on how to build wheels, so half the spokes will be black (drive side), and the other half silver (non-drive side). I was also going to do different coloured nipples for each round of spokes I lace up. I also LOVE Sun Rims, so the UFO Rims are a given.

It's still a close vote though. . .I have about a week to decide still.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
sonyisdope said:
Interesting. Such a close poll. . .

Just to clarify-
Money is NOT an issue. Reliability is though. I am actually going to be building this wheelset up for my wife for her birthday. Fortunately she never checks the Wheels and Tires Forum, so she'll never know!

Anyhow, I do value lightweight, but I also realize that a wheelset with either of these hubs is going to turn out pretty lightweight, so I am not that concerned with the weight of the hub. This is the lacing pattern I wanted to do:

Radial Front
Radial Non-drive rear
2x drive side rear
DT revolution spokes

I am also going to be building this wheelset as a wheelset to guide others on how to build wheels, so half the spokes will be black (drive side), and the other half silver (non-drive side). I was also going to do different coloured nipples for each round of spokes I lace up. I also LOVE Sun Rims, so the UFO Rims are a given.

It's still a close vote though. . .I have about a week to decide still.
If money is not a concern, I'd pick the Chris Kings...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.