Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was pretty set on ordering some hope hubs for my mojo until i found out they are super noisy. i like a quiet bike. what should i be looking at for new hubs ? I'll be running Stans Crests most likely

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I've had DT hubs, shimano, hope, and King hubs. The King hubs are by far my favorites. If I'm going to bother to build up a custom wheelset I would go with them everytime. They are the only hubs that I have never had any problems with. Bombproof.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The Hope hubs are great and the noise once the hub has a bit of bedding in dulls down to a nice tick over.

The only quiet hubs I have come across are the Shimano's on my mates Specialized, they are eerily quiet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
ive had i9 enduros...extremely noisy and i got tired of replacing bearings. having a set built up with hadleys now. im sure they will be noisy too, but my shop told me they are less noisy and less of a hassle maintenance wise

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
morandi said:
I've had DT hubs, shimano, hope, and King hubs. The King hubs are by far my favorites. If I'm going to bother to build up a custom wheelset I would go with them everytime. They are the only hubs that I have never had any problems with. Bombproof.
I would LOVE some GREEN KING hubs but its hard to justify the price :madman:

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you want quality silent hubs how about True Precision S2 Stealth MTB hubs?? Totally silent rotation and, the best bit, instant engagement! Only issue is possibly a little more weight than a conventional paw hub, if that matters (though the weight has been improved with the new S2 version).

If engagement doesn't bother you then Shimano is an easy, relatively cheap option but IMO a higher POE (Points Of Engagement) can be pretty helpful in slow speed riding situations and improves efficiency, especially in climbing.

Hopes from the factory are definitely loud but rebuilt with slightly different weight oil they shut up quite a bit. Similar story with Hadley, King & i9, they can be somewhat loud from the factory but can be 'fixed' with an oil change. DT's can vary from what I've heard - some are loud, some aren't. :skep:

The two pairs of Hopes on my DH bike & trail bike have been trouble free for over 3 years now. Not one issue. Yep they are loud (haven't had them rebuilt with different oil) but that lets people know i'm coming!

"How's the serenity?"
"BUZZZZZZZ"

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
fishercat said:
I am seriously tempted. I dont think anyone else makes green ones. :p
I think I9 makes green hubs. Also if you contact a good Hadley Dealer you can probably get some green ones from them, but there might be a good wait for them. Took me a few weeks just to get blue ones.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
fishercat said:
I would LOVE some GREEN KING hubs but its hard to justify the price :madman:
If your lookin at a complete wheel build and you shop around you can get the price for a King wheelset within $100 of a Hope wheelset. Seems worth it to me.
Larry at Mtn High Cyclery tends to have good prices on the King stuff.

·
Registered
114 Posts
White Industries are super nice. Aluminum shell, steel axle, titanium freehub body option, sealed bearings that are easy to replace. Sound close to shimano, but wayyy nicer- and lighter. The steel axle helps keep things real stiff.

I can't stand the sound of king hubs!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.