Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 21% off and a sweet gift certificate I just landed a too good to pass up deal on the new 1x12 XTR. Cheaper than the new XT will be.

Now for hubs to lace to some Ibis 742 Rims and some new rubber on order.

I9s...love them but noisy and pricey. Pricey more the issue. Can't get under $400 a set.

DTSwiss 350 or 240...hate having to spend another $80+ to get decent engagement. Add $60 if I go 350 cause I need the microspline driver.

New Shimanos....supposedly they re-did their internals using DTSwiss like engagement at 7˚. Not bad, but not I9. AT less than $200 a set, kinda liking this option.

Am I playing with fire going for the new Shimano? has anyone tried the new XTR hubs or their FH-MT901 equivalent? Are cup and cone that much of a pain in the ass?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Shimano is your answer, they are always a good option when cost is a factor. Now that Microspline is here and still limited in availability, it's a no brainer. Shimano bearings are no issue at all.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,601 Posts
Also, FYI, I9 Hydras are a good bit less noisy than Torch. Still audible. But not bad.

They are expensive, though. The price went up a bit for Hydras, and the micro spline freehub body option adds cost.

If you find any Torch hubs on the used market, you can get a micro spline freehub body for them, but it'll cost you.

Be sure you verify what you are getting with the Shimano hubs. Shimano bailed on the Scylence thing for XTR this year. Not sure if it'll come later once they address the issues they were having with it, or not. Also, which ones? The XTR hubs, or the less expensive non-series hubs?

I'll bet there will be more hub manufacturers on board soon, with the announcement of XT and SLX 12spd groups with micro spline cassettes.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shimano is your answer, they are always a good option when cost is a factor. Now that Microspline is here and still limited in availability, it's a no brainer. Shimano bearings are no issue at all.
I went with the non-XTR XTR hubs. About $180 a set. Same redesigned engagement mechanism and mostly silent. Hoping for a trouble free experience, but the birds in the back of my head has me wishing I'd just plunked down the $500+ for the Hydras knowing I would most likely have zero issues. I like being a guinea pig so I'll report back.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MT900 Series hubs in the house. First time with Shimano hubs and I have to say the fit and Finish is nice for a $175 pair of hubs (Well, I guess now that EU bike shops are not shipping Shimano the US, more like $250).The free hub is super quiet compared to I9. I doubt I'll notice it much on the trail. They come in light at 165g and 265g with lock ring. I almost was tempted to buy some closeout I9 Torches, but at $350+ the Microspline free hub....still put me over $500. Not worth it. Sending them out to get built. Ibis 742 Rims, Sapim laser spokes...Expecting them to come in right around 1600g taped and valved....Between these wheels and new rubber, I'll loose over a pound on my current set up.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
165g front is pretty heavy. Steel axle? Thanks for the report.
Well...it is NOT the official XTR hub (136g), but the non-series. Weight includes the 10g lock ring. Considering the I9 centerlock weighs 135g without the ring and costs $170 more, I'll take the 165g all day long. I'm going to assume it still an aluminum axle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.