Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for hubs that will be used for a first time budget build? This is partly as a learning project and partly to upgrade my wife's bike. She's light and doesn't ride a ton so these don't have to be burly.

I would really like interchangeable end caps (QR +15 Thru and QR + 142 Thru) included since I will at some point want to move these to another bike or swap the fork.

Since I've recently had good luck with small ZTTO parts from china I was wondering about these 54T ratchet hubs (I assume a copy of DT swiss)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32964485033.html

Thanks

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
https://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/226.htm

MTB270 Rear & MTB180 front >>6paw @ 52POE can't beat the price!! << I have built two wheelsets and the first has over 3kmiles on them and still spin like they did on the first day :thumbsup:

RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This... Simply one of the most tried and true hubs on this forum. BHS has sales pretty regularly too so you can pick up the hubset for fairly cheap. Great engagement and his customer service (in the past, haven't worked with him in a couple years) has been phenomenal.

·
Administrator
11,822 Posts
Any suggestions for hubs that will be used for a first time budget build? This is partly as a learning project and partly to upgrade my wife's bike. She's light and doesn't ride a ton so these don't have to be burly.

I would really like interchangeable end caps (QR +15 Thru and QR + 142 Thru) included since I will at some point want to move these to another bike or swap the fork.

Since I've recently had good luck with small ZTTO parts from china I was wondering about these 54T ratchet hubs (I assume a copy of DT swiss)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32964485033.html

Thanks
I don't know how much money you want to spend and if building the wheels is something you are excited in doing but if you are just looking to spend the least amount of money and get a set of wheels and aren't looking forward to building them or are paying someone to build them then check out the offerings from Hunt wheels. They have a variety of well priced, very adjustable, wheels. I understand if the desire to build your own is there, I build my own as well, but if time and money are critical, the Hunt wheels offer something that I don't think I could build myself for that price point.

·
No Clue Crew
7,647 Posts
Best cheap hubs I've personally used and had great success with:

The Bitex stuff as mentioned above from BHS.

And SRAM 900 hubs, also inexpensive and I was stoked with their performance.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know how much money you want to spend and if building the wheels is something you are excited in doing but if you are just looking to spend the least amount of money and get a set of wheels and aren't looking forward to building them or are paying someone to build them then check out the offerings from Hunt wheels. They have a variety of well priced, very adjustable, wheels. I understand if the desire to build your own is there, I build my own as well, but if time and money are critical, the Hunt wheels offer something that I don't think I could build myself for that price point.
I really do want to give wheelbuilding a shot. Now that I've gotten through reshimming dampers, this is like the final frontier of MTB maintenance and assembly for me.

I also want to do it cheap since this is my wife's bike and does not need anything beyond 'decent enough'. stock wheels on her bike are heavy 19mm rims with no-name hubs and spokes and I would like to put a proper 2.4 trail tire up front. I'm really just looking to make something lighter and wider.

To give you an idea of how cheap I'm going for, I just ordered two WTB ST i25 rims for $29 shipped. I'd like the total to come in below $160. I'm now looking at Novatec D791SB as a possibility.

·
Administrator
11,822 Posts
I really do want to give wheelbuilding a shot. Now that I've gotten through reshimming dampers, this is like the final frontier of MTB maintenance and assembly for me.

I also want to do it cheap since this is my wife's bike and does not need anything beyond 'decent enough'. stock wheels on her bike are heavy 19mm rims with no-name hubs and spokes and I would like to put a proper 2.4 trail tire up front. I'm really just looking to make something lighter and wider.

To give you an idea of how cheap I'm going for, I just ordered two WTB ST i25 rims for $29 shipped. I'd like the total to come in below $160. I'm now looking at Novatec D791SB as a possibility.
Gotcha, I was definitely looking at the bitex hubs as other noted. I also like to build wheels from time to time just to do so. I do recommend picking up the park tensionmeter (https://www.parktool.com/product/spoke-tension-meter-tm-1) for assistance. You can build a wheel without one but it really helps to have one and it isn't just limited to building time. I use mine regularly when I go through my bikes at season ends, retension the wheels if needed and it does really add to the life of you wheels. Worth its weight.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,828 Posts
For anyone who is bigger or a stronger rider: the BHS hubs are NOT up to the task. Broken axles, blown out bearings, wrecked freehubs, more broken axles.

At one time I had 4 sets of these. No more. And frankly Brandon's customer service and attitude alone were enough for me to never return.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.