Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I need a new rear wheel. A cheapo one at that and one that can handle temperature changes without blowing the freewheel.

I'm currently looking at wheels with Halo Spin Doctor Pro rear hub. They'd fit my budget just nice, but how much of cold can the freewheel take? So far I'm having a bit mixed luck with Shimanos. One blown up today and other one skipping on occasion even after I flushed the freewheel with thin oil. XT and LX if that makes any difference. Used to have NS Bikes Coaster hub too but that was a lot worse than the Shimanos in every imaginable way.

Anyone running Halos in Alaska, Siberia, any place cold? -1F (-18C) here today so that's what I'm talking about. Biggest problem with the Shimanos is probably air humidity condensing and freezing the hub because I have to keep my bikes in my apartment (otherwise they'll get stolen) so there's a huge change in temperature whenever I take a bike outside.

Any other rear wheels I might wanna look at? Has to be below $200, 10mm QR or regular QR and buyable in Europe. Weight is absolutely no concern, the more it can take punishment the better. Aluminum cassette body is an absolute no no.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
can't make a recommendation on a hub, but flushing the freehub probably didn't get the crap out that you need to get out for cold weather riding.

I'd look for a hub that you can disassemble the freehub completely and easily, get the innards spotless, then lube with something like "thin oil".

shimano's are doable, but the loose ball bearings make it a bit of a hassle.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't have a tool to disassemble the freehub. Maybe I should get one.

Sean: Are you folks using the new micro ratchet (or whatever they're called) Shimanos? People here had problems with them and changed to other hubs. My Shimanos are all older models and I've been staying clear of the newer ones so far.

·
Registered
697 Posts
In the cold, I would use grease for the seals, but light oil for any mechanicals like the freehub pawls.
I can't advise disassembling the shimano freehub body, cause they are a pain in the ass. Just remove it, and remove the rubber seal around the attachment splines. Then flush the old (thick) grease out, and lubricate with a small amount of light oil. Put some grease on the seal, and re-insert it. Put it together, and you're good to go!
People seem to forget that the bearings of the freehub are NEVER rotating while loaded... when stomping on the pedals, they are stationary, and when the freewheel is running, there is no load present.

The outer bearings around the axle must still be lubed with grease (of course?), 'cause they do rotate under load. Grease thickness doesn't matter though, just make sure its nice and waterproof (as should the grease on the seal).

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
two-one said:
I can't advise disassembling the shimano freehub body, cause they are a pain in the ass. Just remove it, and remove the rubber seal around the attachment splines. Then flush the old (thick) grease out, and lubricate with a small amount of light oil. Put some grease on the seal, and re-insert it. Put it together, and you're good to go!

The outer bearings around the axle must still be lubed with grease (of course?), 'cause they do rotate under load. Grease thickness doesn't matter though, just make sure its nice and waterproof (as should the grease on the seal).
That's how I've been servicing them. Though probably always too late since what comes out is usually a darkish brown goo. :eek:

Looking at a Hope Singlespeed/Trials hub right now. A little over the budget but maybe it'll last? 5-6 gears in the rear is enough for me anyway. I'll just postpone my fork purchase then.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
I can't believe no-one suggested this already. The Morningstar Freehub Buddy is a tool specially designed for purging and re-lubing Shimano freehub units. Want to do the Iditabike? No problem, purge the thick lube and put in whatever thin stuff you like. Do the switch again in the spring. Plus the tool allows for positive purging of all the old crud - not just dribbling oil through. Paul's a genius.

Forum sponsor BWW (see their ad up top) will do you very price competitive wheels (or a wheel) with whatever level of Shimano hub you wish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.