Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently broke a few spokes (hehe that rhymed) when i replaced the spokes, my rim wasnt true. so i got it true'd at my LBS but by that time the wheel was no longer round. so now im wondering whether anyone knows any tools/ strategies that help with truing and keeping a wheel round.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If the rim was severely out of true, there is only so much tention the spokes can provide. When straightening a bad woble, it can cause "flat spots" in the rim. This is were the spokes have been tightened to pull the rim back, but it also pulls the rim down. When we get bad rims like that in the store, we usually suggest a new rim.

Im guessing the shop told you "its the best its going to get".

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yah, I work at a local bike shop, and we get alot of rims off of Walmart, and Canadian Tire bikes, that are destroyed. Its funny, kids think they can jump these things.

Well, yes, when a rim is bad, we do our best, but if it can't be trued the line "its the best its going to get" often gives the customer the message.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hha awal mart bikes...well mines not that bad. ive got mavic x139 rims, with spec. hub fronta dn shimano on back.
my first broken spoke was on tehb ack, got caught in my rear derailer and broke teh hanger, and bent teh chain,. nice heh?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.