Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions here? Planning to build up my first fat bike wheelset. Normally I do King hubs, but since they aren't available in the correct size I'm looking at these two. Hope is good, but I know nothing about the 907 hubs. Input?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have 907 hubs and have so far had no problems with them. Not as LOUD as the hope hubs but they have a nice sound. Engagement seems quick too. Now the big question if I had the option would I build a hope wheelset up, yup. Would it be any better probably not but it would be louder :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hope are 40 engagement points rather than 30 on the 907. That was the deciding factor for me, I like quick engagement and even 40 points is low in my book.

Otherwise they are fairly similar in specs. Both have interchangeable end caps for various axle options. With the hope fatsno hubs now using the same shell technology as all the rest of the hope hubs, it is likely that we'll see every conceivable option supported on those. I think the only one missing right now are bolt on 9mm/10mm options that fit in QR dropouts.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hope are 40 engagement points rather than 30 on the 907. That was the deciding factor for me, I like quick engagement and even 40 points is low in my book.

Otherwise they are fairly similar in specs. Both have interchangeable end caps for various axle options. With the hope fatsno hubs now using the same shell technology as all the rest of the hope hubs, it is likely that we'll see every conceivable option supported on those. I think the only one missing right now are bolt on 9mm/10mm options that fit in QR dropouts.
I have both in the 190 I total agree with dfiler

·
Thingamejigger
1,230 Posts
I have hope's and they have been very reliable and sound great. Should you need to however, you can strip and rebuild a hope hub with bearing's and spares that are readily available in 10 minutes.

Worth considering upgrading to a Steel Freehub as the Alu one gouges a bit.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My personal experience with Fatsno rear hub: hub bearing shot after 300 miles. Hope sent me a new bearing, no questions asked, and I installed it in a few minutes. I have read of many other problems with Hope bearings and I suspect there is a problem with the bearings themselves, because after swapping with Enduro bearings they seem to be pretty reliable.

·
turtles make me hot
11,484 Posts
I believe the 907 hubs are Chosen, the same as Stan's. I have one. I'm a big ass clyde and it's been reliable so far.
I've built a few sets of wheels with Hopes and 907. The Hopes look a wee bit nicer.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I just order mine from my LBS had it in about a week it was black. I did hear the the other color were not so readily availably do not know if that is ture.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm also biased, but the Fatback Hadley's are really nice. A lot of miles with no problems. They are worth a look, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Any suggestions here? Planning to build up my first fat bike wheelset. Normally I do King hubs, but since they aren't available in the correct size I'm looking at these two. Hope is good, but I know nothing about the 907 hubs. Input?
I'd go with Industry Nine if you are starting from scratch...

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
Yup I just received a 190 Hope through QBP as well. I have not used it yet so no ride experience but I liked how my Borealis (red driver) hub flange curved inward to help with spoke angle. I'm sure the Hope will be fine but there is no reason they couldn't add that little feature.

Edit: You can usually check QBP's stock by looking items up on Universal Cycles.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
My personal experience with Fatsno rear hub: hub bearing shot after 300 miles. Hope sent me a new bearing, no questions asked, and I installed it in a few minutes. I have read of many other problems with Hope bearings and I suspect there is a problem with the bearings themselves, because after swapping with Enduro bearings they seem to be pretty reliable.
I'm ready for the 3th set of bearings on my Hope (SKF last time) very disappointing, I really want to like them since I'm a "Hope Brake freak" but most by a alignment/flex problem to wear out the bearings that fast..

Oh I don't think I have more than 300miles on the rear Hope hub, maybe even 200..

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
I have a 170mm Hope PRO2 fatsno in the rear, and a 9ZERO7 hub up front.

I have had multiple issues with the Hope. Blew out bearings in the freehub within 100 miles, shop replaced them at my cost. Did it again after a couple hundred miles, but this time the bearings were GONE!! I mean the races were ground down to shreds, and the little balls scattered about in the hub.

Hope sent me a new steel fh assembly (after 5 phone calls to confirm it was a bearing issue, and to wait for the only person at Hope USA who knew anything about anything to make the call). I just checked a few weeks ago on the bearings, and when inspecting the bearings, was able to easily pull the inner race off one of the bearings......like it was some $0.05 cent China pos (but had HOPE label). At that time I noticed that another bearing on the nds was feeling pretty rough, so I flushed and regreased.

I am not a Chris King fanboy, but I will say that from a quality standpoint, HOPE is no where near the same quality. I guess you pay for what you get, and if CK were to make a 170mm hub I would donate my HOPE to the garbage w/o hesitation.

The 9ZERO7 hub in the front has been fine, other than a bad bearing at about 250 miles. I replaced both bearings with *** brand, and have been fine ever since.

·
Karma Vampire
252 Posts
Early Adopter of Hope

I tried the Hope Hubs (first generation 170mm). Bearings went bad in less than a year of mostly part time summer use. I called the USA service and they knew little of the hub nor of the troubles that would soon be coming there way. For me they did not offer replacement bearings. I did get a good deal on the tools. Hope website still lacks good information. Probably for the good as the Hope bearings would have led to the same result.

All hubs have their week points. In the 170mm OLD, based on my experience, I think the Hadley's are cream of the crop.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Didn't read all the posts but I also have a pro 2 evo in a 142mm that had the inner free hub bearing break. Maybe about 400 miles. Luckily I found it before doing major damage to the hub shell and free hub body. I replaced all of the bearings with enduro. So far so good. I am on the bigger side 230 pounds but no many other riders with the same hub without issues.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts