Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to build up a new wheelset for my XC 29er. I want to build something very light but also reliable so I feel confident on them when I ride but I also don’t want to spend a ton of $. After talking to the guys at Notubes I decided to go with the 29er Crest with AC hubs. I was going to go with 240s hubs but Notubes said they are junk, I said aren’t the 240s hubs the “ultimate” hub…he said don’t believe the hype, go with the AC. I haven’t ridden either hub so what do I know. I checked out the AC website and saw their new 2010 tubeless wheelset and thought they looked awesome, so why not just go with the whole AC setup and forget the Crest… right? THEN after talking to someone at a LBS I was told AC are junk…or at least their freehub is and 240s are the best. When I told him what Notubes said he said Notubes is crazy and they are the only ones that say 240s are junk, ask any other wheel builder and they will tell you 240s are great. Now I hear that the I9 rear hub engagement is awesome…
So now I’m stuck with what to do and who to believe…can I get a little help please?

Are the AC hubs good or not? Is there something weird about the freehub engagement? They are the lightest hub that I’ve found but I don’t want them if their unreliable.

Is the 240s still a great hub or have others started to make their mark now. They are expensive but they are also light and if they’re going to last a long time than I feel it would be worth it. (Notubes said because their sides are low it makes for poor lateral stiffness)

Is the I9 hub any good? Is there something special about the engagement on the freehub? I can’t seem to find the weight on the individual I9 hubs…anyone know the weight?

If AC rear hubs are junk and since AC doesn’t sell just their rim I may end up going with the ZTR Crest rim with AC up front and the I9 or 240s in the rear.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
240s hubs are most definitely NOT junk.

I love mine. I'd highly recommend them. It's not heavy, they have pretty good engagement after the 36 step ratchet upgrade and mine have been bulletproof so far. 2 years of faithful service without any issues whatsoever.

I know a few other people that ride/love them. No issues.

·
Registered
370 Posts
They are all good, but different.

AC are the lightest, but probably the most likely to need maintenance and have issues - I haven't owned a set, so I can speak from experience.

I9's are great, but expensive. I have a used set that I've been riding for about 3 years. Had one issue with a spoke that kept coming loose. Overall, good, reliable, and on the light side.

240's would be my choice if I were building wheels. Not cheap, but great hubs. Had one set on a previous bike - no issues. Engagement has gotten better (I believe) in the new owns - mine were older. Never had an issue with engagement though - on any wheel.

Hope that helps. I am sure you will find varying opinions.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Margins must be Much better on the AC's vs the 240's....from Stans view, no?

If I were building a set of wheels up...240s and Hadley would be my top choices, both of these hubs are on the quiet side too.....I'm not a CK fan, good hubs- but require service intervals, Hope makes great stuff, but a little loud for my tastes.

But keep in mind the hub may effect the overall weight, but they have the least effect rotational.

That said I have the new AC MTB Tubeless wheelset en route, so I can't comment on the AC's just yet, but I really like the rim profiles- much more that Stans imo.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Sounds like a sales pitch from NoTubes which is unfortunate because DT hubs are quite far from junk. I don't think I would call them the "ultimate" hub but they are quite solid. I like the freehub mechanism on the DT's better than the AC hubs. I also have a bit of an issue that you can get a similar hub as the AC from the same Taiwan manufacturer for significantly less on Ebay (Rotaz Hubs).

I have zero experience with I9 so I can't comment on that.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
assuming this story is true, Stans is lame. While I dont know what "junk" means, I would bet all of squeak wheel's money that AC are FAR FAR closer to junk than 240s.

Not entirely sure what your personal priorities are (reliability, cost, weight, engagement, etc) but I certainly wouldnt have AC on my top 3 list. If you must choose from these 3 I would go with I9s - while some have had issues with spoked breaking perhaps more than what they consider normal, they are light, stiff, and the guys at I9 are great. I have owned 5 sets of I9s and while all hubs/wheels have pluses and minues, they are great, especially in 29er flavor. Having said that, I love me them King hubs but they wasn't on your list and of course Hadleys are OUSTANDING but if you are of weight weenie persuasion they may not make the cut.

·
JustRide44
133 Posts
If they told you the 240's were crap, they must have overstock of AC. The 240's are far superior hubs & that has been the consencus of every LBS employee I have ever spoken with about it (I went through this a couple years ago.) I9's are great hubs but you pay a premium for the sexiness & bling- Along the same lines as king but without the same track record. I think you cant go wrong with 240's, I9's, or King's.
One thing to consider though: If you plan on going the 15mm thru axle direction (As most all forks will soon be IMO) you have to get corresponding hubs (i.e 240 9mm does not convert to 15 or 20mm) There is a conversion kit for the I9's & King sells them out of the box 15mm now. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Stans rims use a really low spoke tension. And the AC hubs allow them to be built up with totally equal spoke tension, making the strongest stans wheelset possible.

240s are great hubs, but don't give you as strong a wheel when used with stans rims. That's why Notubes said what they did.

AC hubs used to have problems with the freehub, but now they are redesigned and improved with no problems at all that i've seen.

I'll be lacing myself up some AC hubs pretty soon, to some stans 355s, and CX Ray spokes.

I'm suprised no one else on here knew this critical piece of info.....but maybe im the only wheel builder here.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hand/of/Midas said:
Stans rims use a really low spoke tension. And the AC hubs allow them to be built up with totally equal spoke tension, making the strongest stans wheelset possible.

240s are great hubs, but don't give you as strong a wheel when used with stans rims. That's why Notubes said what they did.

AC hubs used to have problems with the freehub, but now they are redesigned and improved with no problems at all that i've seen.

I'll be lacing myself up some AC hubs pretty soon, to some stans 355s, and CX Ray spokes.

I'm suprised no one else on here knew this critical piece of info.....but maybe im the only wheel builder here.
This is exactly why, the AC hubs have much taller flanges so it works better with the Stans rims. That having been said I've been riding ZTR Race 29er wheels in the slop of winter without an issue at all. I think Shook has finally sorted out his freewheel issues and AC hubs are a bargain especially given their weight.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Hand/of/Midas said:

Professor Wheelbuilder, again assuming the story is true, the point is that Stans said the hubs are junk which is different than providing an explanation as to why one may be better with their rims than another. Since I assume Stans' are wheelbuilders themselves one would think instead of calling 240s "junk" they could have explained things...on the other hand, maybe they did and maybe like most other mtbr posts information from the OP is left out intentionally or otherwise...dunno, don't really care to be honest but i am stuck at the skating rink with the kids and am bored so wtf

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
MessagefromTate said:
This is exactly why, the AC hubs have much taller flanges so it works better with the Stans rims. That having been said I've been riding ZTR Race 29er wheels in the slop of winter without an issue at all. I think Shook has finally sorted out his freewheel issues and AC hubs are a bargain especially given their weight.
whatever...accomodating Stans' precious spoke tension requirement does not all of a sudden make the internals of AC hubs super duper. Not saying they may not be improved...dont have a clue, but many of us equate them to sacks of ass which has nothing to do with spoke tension considerations

Why doesn't Stans collaborate with Walmart to create hubs with even taller flanges than AC cuz yeah, that would imply those hubs would be the bestest of em all!

·
JustRide44
133 Posts
The OP claimed that the guys at NoTubes said that 240' were crap...Nothing about the improved quality of AC & blah blah better technology blah blah better for their spoke tension. That tells me that they just need to sell AC over 240's (Which incidentally sell themselves :)

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
Hubs are debated quite a bit. Engagement, bearings, play, drilling, weight and so forth.

For ultimate weight savings the AC are probably one of the lighter ones out there. If I wanted reliability then what about Philwood hubs? CK is probably a good proven mix of reliability and weight. I9 are still a bit to new for me, however I have two sets of hubs with no problems. Then again I have a set of 240 well over a decade old with no issues, so they are not junk. Ultimately the choice is your for a set of hubs. Obviously your considering the facts on your next wheel investment.

Considering the current freehub options I'd choose:
- I9 / CK (Quality, proven reliability and weight)
- Hope (Loud)
- AC (Most likely would not build for self as I consider them for lighter riders <150. Know I'll catch flack for that, but Its my opinion.)

If Stan's / No tubes is after a larger flange then why not sell all hoops with Chub hubs? (I know SS specific)

·
Registered
315 Posts
david8613 said:
why not look into hope pro2 hubs, all i hear are good things light strong, and they are affordable..
I have a Hope 2 set with ZTR355. The Hopes have been quite nice. The freehub is loud, which is good and bad depending. Defenitely not a bad choice.

I also have I9 wheels, these have been great so far but I have only had them since the late fall so I have not had as many hours on them. They seem nice and stiff and bomb proof so far as well as light. The freehub engages supre quick, so quick I was surprised the first time I rode on them. They are also super quiet.

Of the two wheel sets the I9s are my favorite at this point, but I don't have an issue with the Hope set either.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Any other company besides Stan's I would really question the OP quote of "crap" being refered to on a non Stans product...that in itself would cause me serious consideration in doing business without further explanation...but thats me;)

I still say corporate politicking and margins are the guilt.........I'm sure Stan's makes about 19 points on the Dt's and 39 points on the AC's.

But I hope Mr. wheel builder is correct in sighting the 'new and improved' Ac hubs...cause I'm due to find out real soon just how they are...

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,761 Posts
metelhead said:
That said I have the new AC MTB Tubeless wheelset en route, so I can't comment on the AC's just yet, but I really like the rim profiles- much more that Stans imo.
I have been curious about their rim profile.
Is there a picture of it anywhere on the web?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Hand/of/Midas said:

Still not a good reason to blatantly lie to a customer by calling DT 240's junk. Besides, as much as people make a big deal about the "low" spoke tension on NoTubes rims, very few people actually know that Mavic recommends an even lower spoke tension on their rims (70-90kgf) for 3x...I'd expect a wheel builder to know that as well.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
metelhead said:
But I hope Mr. wheel builder is correct in sighting the 'new and improved' Ac hubs...cause I'm due to find out real soon just how they are...
you should be fine. if somebody says something on the internet that is at best anecdotal it must be accurate. Don't worry about the fact that such claims are not substantiated with any level of actual data :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts