Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

hub/wheelset selection

860 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  davec113 
#1 ·
Sorry guys I am a roadie so MB components are something I know little about. I just picked up a karate monkey and I want to turn it into an all weather commuter with disc brakes and I need to figure out what kind of wheels I want to plug into it. I'm not worried about name brands or whatever but I do what a nice wheel set so I am looking for hub recommendations and I would also love for any additional information on building 29er wheels...

I guess I should be open for flames

peace

#2 ·
Any disc hubset of the correct spacing for your fork/frame (100mm/135mm) will work, wheelbuilding info available at both sheldonbrown.com and parktool.com. Shimano XT disc hubs would work fine and not cost too much. There's been some nice things said about the Salsa Delgado 29er disc rims.

#3 ·
XT hubs are good for the price, the drawbacks being weight, not many points of engagement, and the loose cone-style bearings need to be greased and adjusted from time to time.

Others to look at (more $$$, though) are Hadley and Hope. Kings might be good, but are stupid expensive. I went with a Hope Bulb rear, pro II front and Delgado Disc rims. Try Mountain High Cyclery (Ventanarama) for a good deal on all your parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.