Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called my LBS to ask how much it would cost to re-lace my Stans ally wheels with some new, better hubs.

They said that when you re-spoke the hoops are weakened and they did not want do it for liability reasons...really?

I had not heard this before. I am sure I can get someone to do it but....should I not??

True or fallacy?

C

·
Cycologist
10,081 Posts
I'm not a wheel builder and in no way am I anything close to an expert on wheels. But I gotta say :lol::eek:ut::crazy:

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I've never heard of this. I've done exactly as you describe, crest wheel to a different hub, and I've been racing it on my SS this year. I'm just a sample size of 1. I also know in the past when spokes fatigue and you break more than one, I would relace the entire wheel.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. This was my thought too. Won't drop the shop name but they do a lot of builds and the owner seems like a pretty solid guy. I was told this by one of his techs... I might drop by in person and get the full scoop directly from the owner...just curious now...What's the real story?
Stay tuned:skep:

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I can't imagine re-lacing a rim being more damaging than what we put them through on the trails. The forces and stresses a rim sees during a ride is probably pretty incredible.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
More than likely the tech was not allowed to say they could/couldn’t do something so he threw an answer out. Any shop that says that either doesn’t really know what they are doing as a wheel builder or needs to do some more classes. I am no expert but have built a couple wheelbuilds myself and relaxed a few and had zero issues.

If you have a relationship with the shop and owner I would talk with him directly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you nailed it Gregnash. They build lots of wheels for a big-ish local community so, presumably ...they know what they are doing. He would probably rather just sell me a new wheel set.

Here is the rub; He talked me into a cheaper hub(s) on the original build. If I knew upgrade was not an option I would have spent the extra money then.

Might be overthinking it. Dollar for dollar I should probably buy new wheels and sell this set.

This thread was more a curiosity about re-seating spoke nipples weakening wheel hoops

·
No Clue Crew
7,593 Posts
Agree with all above. I've had it done multiple times by reputable wheel builders. Most of them won't/don't like to re-use spokes, of course, but good condition rims are no issue.

·
Registered
17,224 Posts
I can understand why a wheelbuilder wouldn't want to use used rims but not for the reason the shop in question gave, reusing them won't weaken the hoops but there could be unseen damage that could affect the quality of the wheel.

·
Registered
12,654 Posts
I don't get the rim weakening story. If that's a cover story, he should be straight with you about the economics and value of buying new wheels.

If saving money matters to you, do the math. Loose hubs and rims are almost worthless on the used market because so few people build their own wheels. (It's fun and challenging and I recommend it!) Can you get enough money selling the old complete wheels and buying new ones to make it worth it to do so, or are the wheels too beat up to be worth much?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,774 Posts
I can understand why a wheelbuilder might specifically steer away from a stans branded rim though. they are known to be super light at the expense of robustness in my experience...

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
So I guess the question now is, was the salesman trying to get you into another full wheelset? Pre-made or built by them? I could understand that possibly but again just sounds odd.

And I agree with everyone that you should always replace the spokes and nipples with the new hub. RARELY will you be able to reuse anything, and it is just good form to take care of that part while you are at it to ensure there are no issues with the existing spokes/nipples. I could also possible understand this if the guy inspected your wheel(s) and found an issue and recommended against the reuse. But the story just seems... well OFF. Like either he just wanted to sell you something else and have you out of his hair or he didn't know what he was doing and didn't want to sell you something.

·
This place needs an enema
16,916 Posts
I can understand why a wheelbuilder might specifically steer away from a stans branded rim though. they are known to be super light at the expense of robustness in my experience...
You're not wrong, but there are also tens of thousands of people out there that have used (and are still using them) with no problem.

They work great for many people. But definitely not all.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
May be cheaper to get all new wheels and sell these. Relacing new hub most likely requires new kength spoke. There is also the danger of carrying over invisible problems the old rims may have.

·
812 Posts
I called my LBS to ask how much it would cost to re-lace my Stans ally wheels with some new, better hubs.
I don't want to divert the trajectory of the conversation, but I need to ask, "what's the point?"

Is there something wrong with your current hubs? If they're mid-level hubs, they're probably laced to mid-level rims with mid-level spokes. It might not be wise to put used, mid-level components with new, top-shelf hubs.

By the time you put on enough miles to destroy your mid-level wheel set, your whole bike might be antiquated.

P.S.
A couple tiny dings in an otherwise good rim can affect it's ability to be perfectly trued. It could involve a lot of work, and still not be possible. I would never work on bikes for money, but if I did, I wouldn't actively seek jobs like yours. I doubt there's much money to be made, and the potential for loss is great.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.