Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these cole aries carbon wheels about a year ago for XC racing on a 26er. The rear hub crapped out on me after about 4 months, got warrantied, lasted another couple months and started skipping again. Anyway I want to make use of these carbon hoops because they seal up nicely for tubeless. I'm looking at buying a rear hub, preferably centerlock because I just bought xt brakes with ice tech rotors and it has to be 28 hole because that's how the hoop is drilled. Looking at this:

New WTB Laser Disc Lite Front Rear Hubs 28h | eBay

Not centerlock but oh well. The problem that I am seeing now, besides ordering internationally, determining the spoke length and finding someone to lace these up for me; is I don't know if the spines in the freehub body match the splines on the cassettes that I use.

Shimano Alivio CS HG51 11 32 8 Speed Mountain Bike Cassette Fit Deore XT LX SRAM | eBay

That's what I use on my bikes. Yea they're cheap. Anyway, looking at the width of the splines on this WTB freehub body, it seems like they are much wider than the splines that I'm used to seeing. It looks different than my mavic crossrides, cole aries and any mtb or road wheel that I've seen. Will this fit the cassette that I want to use? Is it an optical illusion?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Shimano and SRAM cassettes all use the same freehub body spline pattern. The WTB hubs have the same basic spline pattern as Shimano hubs so your cassette will fit fine on it. They just shave some extra material to save a few grams so it looks a little different.

HOWEVER...your using a low end cassette that uses individual steel cogs that are bolted together. That cassette is going to destroy the aluminum freehub body on that WTB hub.

Here are some better options from cheaper to more expensive.

Origin 8 SR

Novatec D712SB with ABG freehub body

White Industries CLD*

*Ti freehub body is stronger than aluminum but is still going to get damaged eventually using cheap cassettes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts