Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Yep, I've used my DT 240 for a lot of singlespeed riding. You just need a singlespeed cog like this and a set of spacers to line up the cog straight with your chainring. It doesn't have to be a Surly cog; any cog with a wide base will work as the wide base prevents the cog from digging into the softer aluminum freehub body. King, Niner, Homebrewed and many others make good cogs with wide bases

·
Registered
114 Posts
I dislike aluminum freehub bodies in single speed applications. Concentrating all of your drivetrain torque on one area of an aluminum body causes lots of wear. I've seen a DT freehub body that was carved completely around by a single speed cog. Aluminum is toooooo soft!

Better off using a different hub that is:
A) meant for single speed use
B) has a steel or titanium body

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
somemechanic said:
I dislike aluminum freehub bodies in single speed applications. Concentrating all of your drivetrain torque on one area of an aluminum body causes lots of wear. I've seen a DT freehub body that was carved completely around by a single speed cog. Aluminum is toooooo soft!

Better off using a different hub that is:
A) meant for single speed use
B) has a steel or titanium body
same thing can be said about cassettes w/ out carriers (most common)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.