Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So sorry this question isn't totally MTB related, but I figured with the wealth of knowledge on here someone would have some answer for me.

So I put a new BMX freewheel onto my flip flop hub on my fixed gear commuter the other day. By the end of last night's commute the rear wheel was really hard to turn. When I got home, I would try to spin it, but it wouldn't spin much at all. So this morning I took the wheel off the take a look. It appears the hub has kind of seized up. The only way I can get it to spin is using a wrench to hold the locknuts on the skewers. I had to move this locknut out to get the correct space so the freewheel would not run against the frame. I'm guessing I did something wrong. How do I undo and get my wheel working again? By loosening that locknut will the cone tighten on the hub and cause it not to spin? Guessing I need to buy some cone wrenches now.

Here is a hub diagram if that helps anyone:
www.parktool.com/images_inc/repair_.../images?q=bike+hub&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&tbs=isch:1

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
trimess said:
So sorry this question isn't totally MTB related, but I figured with the wealth of knowledge on here someone would have some answer for me.

So I put a new BMX freewheel onto my flip flop hub on my fixed gear commuter the other day. By the end of last night's commute the rear wheel was really hard to turn. When I got home, I would try to spin it, but it wouldn't spin much at all. So this morning I took the wheel off the take a look. It appears the hub has kind of seized up. The only way I can get it to spin is using a wrench to hold the locknuts on the skewers. I had to move this locknut out to get the correct space so the freewheel would not run against the frame. I'm guessing I did something wrong. How do I undo and get my wheel working again? By loosening that locknut will the cone tighten on the hub and cause it not to spin? Guessing I need to buy some cone wrenches now.

Here is a hub diagram if that helps anyone:
www.parktool.com/images_inc/repair_.../images?q=bike+hub&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&tbs=isch:1

Thanks guys
Follow the Park instructions. Sounds like the bearing cones simply tightened themselves because the hub was not properly adjusted in the first place.

If you can not do it right, go see your LBS.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
trimess said:
Do you think that was due to the extra inward pressure of the freewheel?
Possible, but the hub would have to be misadjusted in any case.

Changing the hub width without respacing/realigning the dropouts is never a good idea.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
trimess said:
Guessing I need to buy some cone wrenches now.
If you added a spacer between the lock nut and cone and did not use a cone wrench and open and wrench to lock the adjustment in place, the drive side cone will rotate and cause the hub to self destruct. Remove the freewheel and use the proper tools to adjust the hub.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the spacer was on the outside of the lock not, so it wasn't between them. I hadn't realized the free wheel would need more space to not rub on the frame. I think I'll have to have some kind of spacer between the locknut and and inside of the drop out. I didn't mess with the cone or locknut, are you saying I should have adjusted it some way? Outside of getting a wider locknut, I don't see what else I could have done besides use the spacer. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts