Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new set of I9 Torch Classic hubs. I have noticed that the front hub has a fair amount of play in it and there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the play out via a bearing pre load mechanism. Unfortunately the play in the hub is noticeable in certain situations while riding given there is more play in the front end of the bike. For comparison purposes I mounted up another 29er front wheel I have with a Chris King hub and front end of the bike noticeably tightens up. Is this normal for I9? Given they are cartridge bearing I thought perhaps that I could adjust the play out by increasing the clamping force on the 15mm maxle but no luck. The I9 rear hub does not have this play. BTW - the hubs have only ~ 10 rides on them. FYI - I also posted this thread in the wheels & tires forum.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
Go to Industry 9's web site they have a contact phone number give them a call.
If it's a defect I'm pretty sure they will be very happy to get it resolved A.S.A.P.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a brand new set of I9 Torch Classic hubs. I have noticed that the front hub has a fair amount of play in it and there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the play out via a bearing pre load mechanism. Unfortunately the play in the hub is noticeable in certain situations while riding given there is more play in the front end of the bike. For comparison purposes I mounted up another 29er front wheel I have with a Chris King hub and front end of the bike noticeably tightens up. Is this normal for I9? Given they are cartridge bearing I thought perhaps that I could adjust the play out by increasing the clamping force on the 15mm maxle but no luck. The I9 rear hub does not have this play. BTW - the hubs have only ~ 10 rides on them. FYI - I also posted this thread in the wheels & tires forum.
How has it ended up?

I bought a enduro set and there's a play in the rear

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My issue turned out to be an insufficiently tightened 15mm front maxle. I spoke to the folks who built the wheels (Nox) and they suggested further tightening of the front maxle. I was doubtful that it would work but got another 1/2 turn or so on the maxle and problem solved. They mentioned that depending of the mix of the dropout and the I9 axle end caps the clamping force needed to be high. The high clamping force does not effect how freely the axle bearing will spin. Try increasing your rear skewer clamping force.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.