Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new set of I9 Torch Classic hubs. I have noticed that the front hub has a fair amount of play in it and there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the play out via a bearing pre load mechanism. Unfortunately the play in the hub is noticeable in certain situations while riding given there is more play in the front end of the bike. For comparison purposes I mounted up another 29er front wheel I have with a Chris King hub and front end of the bike noticeably tightens up. Is this normal for I9? Given they are cartridge bearing I thought perhaps that I could adjust the play out by increasing the clamping force on the 15mm maxle but no luck. The I9 rear hub does not have this play. BTW - the hubs have only ~ 10 rides on them. FYI - I also posted this thread in the 29er Components forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Give them a call. Had a small spot of trouble with a torch wheelset. Very helpful and nice on the phone. Parts were in less than a week. Great customer service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
Should have bought Chris Kings :)

sorry to hear that. I am sure I9 will take care of you. Its just too bad that a brand new set of hubs have play already

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should have bought Chris Kings :)

sorry to hear that. I am sure I9 will take care of you. Its just too bad that a brand new set of hubs have play already
Unfortunately CK did not offer a Sram XX1 XD1 driver option when I bought the wheelset. On a positive note I contacted the wheelbulder (Nox - tried I9 1st but they were closed for Good Friday) and they mentioned the I9 hubs axle caps were somewhat finicky in the Rock Shox Sid fork and to make sure I really tighten down the 15mm maxle before flipping the skewer lever. It was pretty tight to begin with but I followed their advice and got another quarter turn or so on the maxle. Problem solved. On a side note thus far my new I9 hubs have performed very well. I have ridden CK hubs for years but the I9s seem to roll better (less seal drag) and have better engagement. On the negative side they are very loud but I have now gotten use to their very audible buzz.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I had the same problem on my older classic I9's and can attest to the fact that their axle caps AND the axle needs to be mated just perfect with the bearings when clamped to avoid that side-to-side play. I'm not a big fan of their designs.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
West Chester, PA
4,946 Posts
Its great that the I9 people are so nice on the phone when people have problems. That is a crucial thing for successful business. I wonder how the customer service people at King are ? I've never had to call them ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its great that the I9 people are so nice on the phone when people have problems. That is a crucial thing for successful business. I wonder how the customer service people at King are ? I've never had to call them ;)
Well I have and not all of their products are as bullet proof as you infer. I have an expensive ceramic CK GXP BB that doesn't play well with my crankset although it was specifically designed for the Sram GXP crank application. My LBS mentioned that their BBs have been problematic for Dura Ace road applications as well. The titanium ring drive on my R45 rear hub had to be retro fitted to hardened stainless steel after CK determined Ti was just too soft for their ring drive application (they discontinued using Ti after issues began to surface with folks who bought the early version of their road racing hub). Don't get me wrong ... I like CK and run all CK headsets, am happy with my R45 road hubs, my ISO disc hubs as well as my PF30BB but CK is not perfect and have stumbled on occasion. BTW their customer service is good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts