Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to attempt my first hub overhaul and need some poniters. The hubs are bontrager race -non disk hubs from a race UST tubeless wheelset. I just bought them on Fleabay, and the seller neglected to mention the bearings were marginal.

Here are the questions:
1. How do I identify my specific hubs so I can order the right parts? The freehub body has "BKP" stamped in the splined area.

2. Where is a good place to buy bearings for bontranger hubs?

3. Is a bearing press really required, or has anyone successfully rigged up their own press for the job? Normally I am pretty crafty with creating my own specialty tools, but I don't want to damage anything unwitttingly.

4. How can I tell if the freehub body needs replacement, and if it does...where do I get one?

If it helps, I can post some pictures

Thanks
D

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
No idea about this hub.

Try Boca bearings, they have extensive manufactures lists. That said it may not be accurate.

If I didn't need the bike for a couple of weeks I would strip it down and remove the bearings and measure them to check with Boca (somebody else metioned VXB).

For my mavics, I use a small flat punch and my tiny ball peen and tap them out. (easy and maybe 30 secs.

To reinstall I use my big Ball Peen ball end resting on the bearing and tap with the little one till it seats, (easy 30 secs.).

I do use a little Moly Disulphide assemble grease as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I ordered bearings for my Hopes from Phil Wood.

To get the old bearings out I used a big flat blade screwdriver and hammer- which totally destroyed the old bearings.

To press the new ones in, I used some threaded rod, washers, and a got a small length of PVC pipe that fit the OD of the new bearings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.