Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have had problems with hubs before but none like this. I have a new rhyno lite wheelset with xt hubs and the hubs make a weird clicking noise. Mostly the rear one but the front one to. Also, the rear hub occasionally and seemingly randomly makes a strange sound like the tearing of paper. I have heard that you may have to take shimano hubs apart and do whatever shimano didn't. Any suggestions?:)

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
If you aren't into complete hub....

service, get them into an LBS and have them checked out. Some clicking noise from the rear hub is normal as you know, it's the free wheel mechanisim. But the front hub should be absolutely silent. I have no clue what it could be, you don't say how loud it is, when it particular it happens, etc., plus there are other components attached to the hub that could be causing the problem. Loose spokes click, bearings click, etc. So get em in and have em checked out.

Good Dirt

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Squash said:
service, get them into an LBS and have them checked out. Some clicking noise from the rear hub is normal as you know, it's the free wheel mechanisim. But the front hub should be absolutely silent. I have no clue what it could be, you don't say how loud it is, when it particular it happens, etc., plus there are other components attached to the hub that could be causing the problem. Loose spokes click, bearings click, etc. So get em in and have em checked out.

Good Dirt
My bike isn't together yet, but when I put the wheels on and spinned them, they both make a sound that is not very loud, kind of like tapping your fingers against the table.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Remove the wheel from the bike and turn the axel with your fingers. Does it feel rough? Next try to wiggle the axel. Is there play in the axel? If it feels rough and/or there is play in the axel then you need your hubs serviced.

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maida7 said:
Remove the wheel from the bike and turn the axel with your fingers. Does it feel rough? Next try to wiggle the axel. Is there play in the axel? If it feels rough and/or there is play in the axel then you need your hubs serviced.
There is some play, so I will take it to the lbs and have them check it out. But these hubs are new, should they really need servicing?

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Play indicates that the cones need adjusting.

OR

Could be they were not assembled properly (like missing bearings), or have a manufactured defect (like a cracked cup/cone or bent/broken axel). Take them back to the dealer and have them resolve the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.