Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have Bontrager line comp 30 wheels and I’m doing the popular upgrade of going to 108 poe as well as replacing the Shimano driver to XD. Apparently I need bontrager hub grease to install properly. Are there any other alternatives to use for grease? Lithium grease OK?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
^^^ yeah. Something thin and non-sticky is best. If the pawls are slow to engage, you can wind up putting a lot of force on them before they fully engage and damage pawls or the ratchet ring. This is a pretty common problem and cold can make it worse.

I find that a small amount of Slick Honey can be OK. I also use gear oil on some hubs. Dumonde Tech makes a specific pawl lube which is very good. If the freehub is louder, it means the pawls are moving faster, which is a good thing.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,389 Posts
Interesting. The goop that is in there now seems thick? Almost like vasoline.
The old, gummed up stuff can't really be used to determine the characteristics of the stuff that was used.

Think about how gummy chain lube can get when it's old and full of dirt. Or what happens to the light lube shimano puts in its shifters after years and years of use (it gets gummy and the shifter starts misbehaving, requiring that you hose the thing out with degreaser and put fresh lube in).

I've been using Phil's Tenacious Oil in my hubs for years, and when it gets old and dirty, it gets thick and gummy, too, totally different from its properties fresh out of the bottle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.