Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
There are a few different standards for the way the front hub attaches to the suspension fork.

9mm axles for an open dropout are the most common. It's usually held in by a quick release skewer. That's operated by a lever on the side of the fork.
There's also 15mm through axle and
20mm through axle.

To my knowledge, none of these systems are cross-compatible, although some hubs can be adapted to different systems.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
There aren't a ton of choices. The least expensive is likely the Shimano XT or SLX. With halfway-decent initial setup and maintenance, Shimano's hubs last forever, IME. However, they're still a cup-and-cone bearing. If you want a sealed bearing, King, Hope, DT, Hadley all make options and will add bling. I notice King criticizes some 20mm through-axle hubs as lacking bearing adjustment. This is a legitimate criticism, and something you may want to think about.

You can relace your old rim onto a new hub if it's not too thrashed. You'll probably need new spokes, and the new hub needs the same hole count. If the old rim needs a bunch of different spoke tensions to stay true, it's probably not worth the trouble. If you need to pay someone to do it for you, just buy a whole new, built wheel.

Finally, make sure to do your homework before spending money. My bikes all just have plain quick releases. :D

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
99xjlove said:
Sorry one more question. Does that mean that I can't use it on any fork that accepts a 20mm axle or just the through style?
ALL 20mm forks/hubs are through axle. A few hubs are convertible to different axle types but forks are not. Forks are designed to use a specific axle type and only that axle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
theextremist04 said:
Personally, I would say save up and get a new bike; you're going to nickel and dime yourself to death if you try to turn your bike into an AM setup.
Why is that if you don't mind me asking? I may not have all the cool bling items but I'm sure I can work my way towards it. I don't have $1000 + to spend on a new bike. I said I was AIMING for MORE of an AM SETUP, not a full AM setup. Honestly with a new longer travel fork, and the stem and bars that will be ariving tomorrow I'm sure it will handle what I have in mind. But Please Elaborate!

·
not really an mtbr member
640 Posts
99xjlove said:
Why is that if you don't mind me asking? I may not have all the cool bling items but I'm sure I can work my way towards it. I don't have $1000 + to spend on a new bike. I said I was AIMING for MORE of an AM SETUP, not a full AM setup. Honestly with a new longer travel fork, and the stem and bars that will be ariving tomorrow I'm sure it will handle what I have in mind. But Please Elaborate!
Well, first of all, putting a longer travel fork on your frame will screw with geometry. Second, no promises that your frame will be strong enough to handle a longer travel fork; at the very least there's a good chance you'll void your warranty. If you look around there are certainly good deals to be had; I got a Cove Stiffee for $250 once.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's weird! I was under the impression that if I went from a 80mm travel fork to say a 160mm travel fork I would have twice as good steering! Ha ha. j/k. I know it may mess with the geometry a little bit. but Im looking at forks like the Tora and Sektor both with U-Turn for adjustability. Tora min is 85mm and Sektor is 100mm with the 9mm QR neither of which will mess with geometry that much. Then I can lengthen them for bombing down hills.

As far as frame warranty and strength go. I'm not too worried. Finding a frame to replace it will be just as easy/cheaper than what a full bike costs. I bought the dawes for the components with the understanding that the frame may or may not last a long while. I figure If Kenesis makes the frame it can't be that bad. Anyways Finding whole used bikes isn't my thing, I would like to trust an individual on great maintinence but that's not going to happen. I really appreciate your opininon though! These are things that I have thought of, and am ready to act upon them if/when they occour.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.