Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About me: 6’7, 245lbs geared up, aggressive rider, sport/expert enduro rider, like to bash into rocks, sometimes case jumps, etc

Currently running i9 1/1 hubs and Stan’s flow ex3 rims. Rims are holding up to my abuse fairly well.

However the rear hub is not holding up so well. I’m on #2 cracked hub axle. i9 is great about the warranty and replacing it, but it’s a week+ of downtime every time it happens. i9 doesn’t make a steel axle replacement. Have had multiple wheel builders tell me it’s because I’m tall and put a lot of lateral force on the rear hub, so, I’m looking at “stronger” hubs. Most recommend a 350.

The options I’m considering:

Dtswiss 350 with a 36t or 54t ratchet
Hope pro 4
Something else I’m not thinking of?

Which hub would be strongest for the abuse I put them through?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Near the middle of the hub. First one was pretty close to the cassette side bearing, #2 is almost dead center

That's what I was expecting. The weight of the rider is supported on 2 bearings situated in line with the flanges. The bearings inside the freehub only support the forces from the drivetrain. Because of this the freehub can bend slightly when loaded hard which can cause the aluminum axle to crack after a certain amount of bending cycles. If you run a Shimano 12 speed drivetrain with a micro spline cassette you could check out the newer Shimano hubs since I'm pretty sure the axle is made of steel.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I was expecting. The weight of the rider is supported on 2 bearings situated in line with the flanges. The bearings inside the freehub only support the forces from the drivetrain. Because of this the freehub can bend slightly when loaded hard which can cause the aluminum axle to crack after a certain amount of bending cycles. If you run a Shimano 12 speed drivetrain with a micro spline cassette you could check out the newer Shimano hubs since I'm pretty sure the axle is made of steel.
Yup pretty much exactly what the bike shops I talked to said. They pulled apart a dtswiss 350 that they had laying around and showed me how the bearings sit closer so they’re less likely to crack the axle, but figured I’d crowd source some suggestions as well.

Unfortunately running Sram drivetrain, so microspline is out

·
Registered
147 Posts
About me: 6’7, 245lbs geared up, aggressive rider, sport/expert enduro rider, like to bash into rocks, sometimes case jumps, etc

Currently running i9 1/1 hubs and Stan’s flow ex3 rims. Rims are holding up to my abuse fairly well.

However the rear hub is not holding up so well. I’m on #2 cracked hub axle. i9 is great about the warranty and replacing it, but it’s a week+ of downtime every time it happens. i9 doesn’t make a steel axle replacement. Have had multiple wheel builders tell me it’s because I’m tall and put a lot of lateral force on the rear hub, so, I’m looking at “stronger” hubs. Most recommend a 350.

The options I’m considering:

Dtswiss 350 with a 36t or 54t ratchet
Hope pro 4
Something else I’m not thinking of?

Which hub would be strongest for the abuse I put them through?

I would start by looking at Hadley hubs ( https://www.balleracing.com/ ). They are over built, the bearings are easily sourced, and each piece of the hub could be seen as industrial art. I am rollen on a set of I9 1-1 wheels/hubs and hope I do not have similar issues. If I do, right back to Hadley’s.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
280+ here, lots of climbing on my rides, so plenty of torque is going through the rear hub, and ride multiple bikes with DT swiss 350s without any issue ever over 6 years.
At this point I’m leaning towards a 350 for the price

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
280+ here, lots of climbing on my rides, so plenty of torque is going through the rear hub, and ride multiple bikes with DT swiss 350s without any issue ever over 6 years.
Let me add I'm a similar weight, and I've bent axles, and even in one case ripped the hub shell entirely loose from the axle. (Hope Pro II about 10 years ago.)

My DT Swiss 350 mountain bike hubs have served me well on my Jeffsy. I don't beat the hell out of my hubs where I live now like I used to in Cali - Stockholm is flat - but there are still lots of small, punchy, steep uphills that require me to crank as hard as possible in the highest torque situations to get over a thing, and the DT Swiss hold up without issue.

Additionally, I've done loaded bike tours on a DT Swiss 350 road hubs - i.e. me + bike + 25kg of gear - without issue, through 15 countries. I run a bikepacking setup in warm weather, and bikepacking + two panniers in cold, and take dirt and gravel roads whenever I can. Not even a peep.

They aren't pretty, but they are bomb-proof.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have never heard of this issue before with 1/1’s. I’m 200lbs and ride 1/1’s on my single speed. I feel like I torque to hell out of them and they have been solid for over a year. Fingers crossed I don’t ever have the same issue as you.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Both of my current bike shops warned me away from i9's due to the number of warranty claims they've seen with heavier/more aggressive riders.
Only one data point, so YMMV, but I've heard of those issues.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts