Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one and ride after? I have severe osteoarthritis of the medial femoral condoyle and this is the fix. The docs love the biking as an activity for the shape my knee is in, and riding actually doesn't bother it now much. They expect me to ride just fine (after about a year, of course). I was just wondering what the finer points of riding after the operation were, recovery, complications etc.

A video not safe for the squeamish - so just purely for educational purposes, here's what the osteotomy looks like. Remember, "osteotomy" means cutting bone, so be prepared to see the bone saw! :band:

·
Registered
4 Posts
So reassuring to hear traffic in the background and the use of the piece of paper which looked like it was scribbled with a ball point pen as a template. Hope it all goes well for you and you are back in business sooner rather than later!

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
hey Dag, maybe post this in Rider Down or some other forums for a broader base of opinions. good luck bro!

·
My other ride is your mom
5,441 Posts
I can really appreciate the sound of traffic and other things going on in the background in that surgery clip.....where was that filmed at, Dr. Nick's Hollywood Upstairs College of Medicine?

·
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So reassuring to hear traffic in the background and the use of the piece of paper which looked like it was scribbled with a ball point pen as a template. Hope it all goes well for you and you are back in business sooner rather than later!
It's one of the more crude videos, sure. I think it was made in some alleyway in Calcutta. Hopefully I'll get one of the computer aided operations which looks a lot more pro. This strikes me as some cadaver practicing, but the gist of the surgery is there!

·
I am Walt
6,369 Posts
I'm halfway thru 4 months off the bike (for the second time in 2 years...:-/ )...join the club!!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Not a club I want to join!
i start PT on Monday, and I'm afraid I might have to take a long break to let my chronic swelling subside. Maybe we can start a swimming club, do some pilates. In a totally masculine kind of way, where we talk about chicks while doing it.

·
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it's looking like an HTO and another ACL reconstruction. The new doc says there is no endpoint where the ligament catches, which means the knee is free to move around. this is probably why the arthritis is flaring up - the knee is flopping all over the place. I'll know more after more MRIs, x-rays etc in the next week or two. I thought the 3rd ACL would be the charm. Looks like it might have to be the fourth. ......and I haven't ridden in about three weeks. :madmax: FML.

·
I am Walt
6,369 Posts
So it's looking like an HTO and another ACL reconstruction. The new doc says there is no endpoint where the ligament catches, which means the knee is free to move around. this is probably why the arthritis is flaring up - the knee is flopping all over the place. I'll know more after more MRIs, x-rays etc in the next week or two. I thought the 3rd ACL would be the charm. Looks like it might have to be the fourth. ......and I haven't ridden in about three weeks. :madmax: FML.
Jeez..,can't you get a bionic joint or something?

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
*vibes*

·
I am Walt
6,369 Posts
Good luck, Seron!! Been there recently...it'll pass more quickly than you think...

1 - 20 of 93 Posts