Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Go Big or Die Tryin'
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to make a move to HT2 or Mega from HTLT.
Assuming same build (would be doing frame only and parts swap) I'm struggling to see advantages/disadvantages between HT2 and Mega.
-Geometry = virtually identical
-Frame weight = can't find solid numbers here but assuming within grams
-Wheel Size - I only run 29 so not an issue but seems to be only major difference
-Travel - 20mm less on HT2...can prob compensate for this by increasing shock pressure if you wanted a firmer feel on XC rides
I've read reviews calling the Megatower a "big bike" but think it comes down to the build more than the frame when compared to similar bikes.
I assume upcoming HT2 reviews will refer to it as a "big bike".
I guess the ultimate question is: does 20mm less travel really differentiate a bike from Enduro/DH to AM/Trail??? I know 20mm more travel really makes a difference on gnarly DH sections but does 20mm less have as noticeable of a positive effect on AM/Trail sections?
Just looking for some opinions on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
The MT is slacker, longer chainstays, has more travel and can fit an X2 or coil. Those are significant advantages riding steep DH or racing enduro. I'd go with the HT unless you're going to be racing some really difficult enduro races or riding terrain best suited for a DH bike. That said the MT pedals well and is fine for trail riding with a fast rear tire...but the HT will be better for that.

·
Registered
283 Posts
people i spoke to at the sc factory preferred the MT, but they go for 1-2h ride for the downhill part
if you pedal more, the HT2 might still be better. i'm also guessing the MT susp curve is a bit more progressive.
that said i found the HT2 to be very capable regardless (way more than the HT1) and both bikes are probably quite similar. SC just has so many models now, many of which are just "a little different" from one another.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've ridden all 3 bikes but with a lot of time separated between demos, so comparing them side by side is somewhat tricky. I also rode the old hightower but in a size smaller than all the 3 other bikes. The megatower is definitely different than the new hightower, its similar on paper but in real life I think the new hightower is more agile for sure and you really need steep, crazy terrain to make the megatower worth it. The new hightower is better everywhere else. If you have a stock 150/150 htlt, the new hightower will have 10mm less rear travel, so I guess the question would be if you are fine about giving up some travel or if you want a more enduro focused bike. The new hightower is supposed to replace the hightower lt and old hightower all in one while the megatower is a full-on enduro machine, so I think the hightower should feel somewhat familiar if you have a HTLT but with different geo and an updated rear linkage of course.

Without knowing your terrain its hard to say what bike to get, if you are just pedaling uphill and hitting some crazy jumps and steep rocky downhills that you feel your current bike doesn't have enough travel for then go for the megatower. If you are fine with the travel you have and want a bike that can do everything, including some big drops and jumps, then you probably want the new hightower.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I am on an HTLT, I demoed both and ordered the HT2.

I went into expecting to prefer the MT. On my HTLT, I never (really ever) find myself thinking this is too much bike. So in my brain going 160/160 was the logical progression.

I am mostly trail riding though. Technical and demanding trails, but trails where you earn your descents. And in the end that was where I noticeably preferred the HT2.

If you were doing mostly shuttled and lift served I would go MT, more aggressive trail riding HT2.

Other people have said this exact thing but I might have gone MT and kept the HTLT as an option but there is a lot of overlap there and I can still get some value out of the HTLT by selling it. The HT2 is a much better one bike quiver for me.

FWIW I liked them both.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not coming from an HTLT, but I am building an HT2 both to be an everyday bike in the stable and to be the bike I use for enduro races. Having ridden a 5010 v3 and Nomad v4 on the same local enduro style trails, I think the HT2 will be just right where the 5010 would start to feel somewhat overwhelmed and the Nomad was a bit cumbersome on the pedaling parts. I also want 29” wheels for the rolling speed and rolling over chunks. I recently had to choose one bike between the 5010 and Nomad to take on a trip where the riding was a mix of pedaly trail, enduro style, and lift access. I picked the Nomad because I would rather have the capability and not need it on the mellower stuff in exchange for having the capability on the rough steep stuff, but definitely found myself wishing I had the smaller bike for a lot of it. I am thinking the HT2 would have been the perfect middle ground for this trip.

My local trails are very steep and rough, so most people would probably say I should go with a Megatower. I think at my average skill level I won’t be pushing either of these bikes to their limits, and while I do ride some pretty serious trails, I do not hit all of the biggest features on them. Therefore the benefits of the pedaling and handling characteristics of the HT2 will likely outweigh the capability benefits of the MT for me. I don’t see my skill level overtaking the capabilities of the HT2, but if they do longer travel could be something to consider down the road.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I love my old HTLT (large) but the Mega(XL) is a lot better bike, you point it, it goes there, one thing surprised me is i can climb a lot better and faster with the megatower than my LT with exactly the same setup. No idea about the HT2. My local trails are enduro/am/trail

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm in the same boat - trying to decide between Megatower and HT2. Current bike is 130 29er bike and am mostly happy with it except when I hit chunky trails in Tahoe. Demoed the Megatower and Bronson and really loved both - was really surprised as to how well the Megatower pedaled; better than my current 29er and was able to cliimb things I had not previously cleared.

Leaning towards HT2 because I love the idea of having a 27.5+ option for days I just want to switch things up but being a 225lb rider (in full kit), I'm kind of concerned about the softer tune of the HT2.

Anybody out there ride the HT2 and is similar weight?

Anyway.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Great help! Thanks! Also, one of the things I noticed about the Megatower was that it gobbled everything in sight but was also kind of "poppy"; not as poppy as Bronson but still had no issues catching a little air and wasn't a straight-line machine. Assuming same thing with HT2 or even better due to lower weight?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Former Long shocked OGHT owner, current mega owner. If you're going with a 1 bike stable, HT2 for sure. If you have room in your stable for a trail bike and a descending bike, then mega. I do agree that the mega and the HT2 are quite similar with regards to geo and how they feel.

The chief difference is how easy it is to access the progressiveness of the frame. With the HT2, it takes less energy to make moves with the bike at less then full send. Meaning with the HT2, to huck it up things such as techy climbs, or to use little trail features to boost off of, you can just sorta shift your hips and give the suspension a little pre-load. With the mega you need to give things a solid tug and throw your weight a bit more to get it to do the same thing.

Put another way, the hightower 2 rides with the same mannerisms at a wide range of speeds that the mega does at mach chicken. While the mega does ride mellow trails well considering it's capabilities, it starts to feel a bit dead and sluggish, where the HT2 still feels playful and snappy.

Similar bikes, the differentiation for me is the stable they will be in.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Former Long shocked OGHT owner, current mega owner. If you're going with a 1 bike stable, HT2 for sure. If you have room in your stable for a trail bike and a descending bike, then mega. I do agree that the mega and the HT2 are quite similar with regards to geo and how they feel.

The chief difference is how easy it is to access the progressiveness of the frame. With the HT2, it takes less energy to make moves with the bike at less then full send. Meaning with the mega, to huck it up things such as techy climbs, or to use little trail features to boost off of, you can just sorta shift your hips and give the suspension a little pre-load. With the mega you need to give things a solid tug and throw your weight a bit more to get it to do the same thing.

Put another way, the hightower 2 rides with the same mannerisms at a wide range of speeds that the mega does at mach chicken. While the mega does ride mellow trails well considering it's capabilities, it starts to feel a bit dead and sluggish, where the HT2 still feels playful and snappy.

Similar bikes, the differentiation for me is the stable they will be in.
...meaning with the mega, to huck it up...

You mean, the HT 2 right?

·
Go Big or Die Tryin'
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I demoed a HT2 over the weekend and loved it. Felt as plush or maybe more so than my HTLT but very similar overall with regard to efficiency with pedaling. I chose a ride that encompassed 95% of what I typically do and never felt under-biked and ended up using around 90-95% of the travel. My HTLT has an X2 and is typically difficult to get through most of the travel on chunky DH runs...I'm thinking this is why the HT2 felt more plush even with 10mm less travel. I'm going with the HT2 as I won't have a chance to demo the Mega but have a hunch that either choice would have been fine (more smiles on the DH with Mega but slightly less pain on climbs and faster on flats with HT2).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love my old HTLT (large) but the Mega(XL) is a lot better bike, you point it, it goes there, one thing surprised me is i can climb a lot better and faster with the megatower than my LT with exactly the same setup. No idea about the HT2. My local trails are enduro/am/trail

hi do you mind me asking why you changed sizes from the LT to the MT please? i currently have an identical LT in L and i am bang in the middle of sizes @ just over 6'1.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.