Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Complete newbie. I've ridden road bikes and gravel bikes for years but I went on a MTB lesson and now I'm hooked. I'm not looking to spend a fortune. Less than $1000 for a bike that will handle smooth to some rough trails. I need to build my skills up to doing the extreme downhill from the mountain trails I tried. For the lesson they loaned us a full suspension Aluminum bike. It felt super fast downhill and kinda scary at some points. The brakes were very touchy and I fell a lot. I know I need to practice so I am looking at something to just run around on local trails and build the skills. I am assuming with my budget I can only afford hardtails and those might be easier for me to control. I am 52 and 5'9" and 230lbs. (working on losing the weight but seem to only build muscle and losing volume right now). Ideally I'd buy from a LBS but I know inventory is non existent. I've checked craigslist and FB marketplace but I dont know what type of bike I should be looking for. Apologize for being a total newbie. I've been reading posts and trying to learn more.

I found this bike locally: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3152398/

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
As a guy that made the mistake two years ago, you'll out grow a sub $1000 bike pretty quick or end up upgrading parts on it to the point where you should have just spent more from the start. A $800ish MTB handles gravel, smooth trails, and general bike riding well. But get onto a decent blue trail as your skills improve and you'll quickly find the bikes limits. $1200-$1500 is a really good sweet spot for beginner hardtails. You'll get better spec'd parts that won't need/want replacing/upgrading as fast.

Used bikes are also a great way to save money and get into the sport. The bike you listed isn't a bad choice. Although he couldn't even post current pictures of the bike. If its local, take a look at it. The sizing should be good for you. But you gotta ride it a bit to see just how well it fits.

·
Just some guy
193 Posts
Complete newbie. I've ridden road bikes and gravel bikes for years but I went on a MTB lesson and now I'm hooked. I'm not looking to spend a fortune. Less than $1000 for a bike that will handle smooth to some rough trails. I need to build my skills up to doing the extreme downhill from the mountain trails I tried. For the lesson they loaned us a full suspension Aluminum bike. It felt super fast downhill and kinda scary at some points. The brakes were very touchy and I fell a lot. I know I need to practice so I am looking at something to just run around on local trails and build the skills. I am assuming with my budget I can only afford hardtails and those might be easier for me to control. I am 52 and 5'9" and 230lbs. (working on losing the weight but seem to only build muscle and losing volume right now). Ideally I'd buy from a LBS but I know inventory is non existent. I've checked craigslist and FB marketplace but I dont know what type of bike I should be looking for. Apologize for being a total newbie. I've been reading posts and trying to learn more.

I found this bike locally: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3152398/

Thanks.
That particular ad seems suspicious. Way too many typos, and no description of the bike its self. Not to mention a very recent Pinkbike account.

At 5'9 a medium bike should fit you. I personally would look for something with a 1x drivetrain and hydraulic brakes.

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
A good value. The one concern I would have is the Xfusion suspension. They have all but abandoned the market and service parts may be hard or impossible to get. Also look at the Marin Rift Zone, Giant Trance 29 (good suspension), Vitus Mythique 29 VRX on Chain Reaction (great value if you can get one, you have to request to be emailed when in stock and hope you can order before everyone else does), and Polygon Siskiu (7, but if you can swing the extra $500, the 8 is well worth the extra).

It is a tough bike market right now, supply is tight and prices have gone up. The used market will likely get a bit better as winter approaches.

Reactions: laurawho7

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A good value. The one concern I would have is the Xfusion suspension. They have all but abandoned the market and service parts may be hard or impossible to get. Also look at the Marin Rift Zone, Giant Trance 29 (good suspension), Vitus Mythique 29 VRX on Chain Reaction (great value if you can get one, you have to request to be emailed when in stock and hope you can order before everyone else does), and Polygon Siskiu (7, but if you can swing the extra $500, the 8 is well worth the extra).

It is a tough bike market right now, supply is tight and prices have gone up. The used market will likely get a bit better as winter approaches.
Thanks, I'll check these out.

I'm in Maine, and looking for place that have rentals so I can demo some to get a better idea of what size and type of ride would be best for me. If anyone has any suggestions in Maine, NH, VT and Mass. Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ripley AF - Ibis Cycles Inc. My local bike shop has this in my size today. Would you buy it? Pros/Cons?
No personal experience but the reviews etc seem overwhelming positive so I say go for it.
Summary = "this is an excellent trail bike and one of the best values out there"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.