Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a hardtail at the moment and i am currently saving to get a new bike in the forseeable future. I am currently torn between a hardtail and a full susser.

While I do go out on some longer trails mainly based on forest tracks and things ( and i do like to potter about on the street bouncing around on and off little obstacles ), i have to admit that the majority of my miles are built up on the commute to work and back every other day. This commute is about 10 miles each way and geniunely is a case of 5 miles up hill and then 5 miles back down the other side, while not particulary steep overall ( climb from sea level to 350m over the 5 miles ) its a pretty constant incline.

I've had a couple of quick shots on a variety of bikes and i've been really surprised at just how light full sussers are getting - they *feel* lighter than my current steed. My current short list is generally:

-Klein Attitude
- Cannondale F800
- Trek Liquid 10
- Gary Fisher Cake 3 dlx

Without getting too much into which bike is better ( unless you have direct comparison experience of each ) , by question is:

Regardless of bobbing, just how much do you guys feel that a full suspension takes more energy to climb on a hard surface like a road than a hardtail?

do you feel its really really obvious that you need a lot more energy to peddle up hill or is it just that you feel its slightly harder, but not by much.

I wont be racing, and i often tend to sit in the saddle when doing the climb for the commute. At the same time, i want a bike that is comfy for longer rides but will still climb reasonably well, but still be able to handle a few knocks and bumps on some harder decents. If the difference in energy levels was marginal, then i would go FS

I recently changed my tyres to Panaracer speedblasters and they have made a whopping difference to who well my hardtail seems to go along - so i would consider fitting them too.

Lastly, i'm 6ft1 and about 210lbs

sorry for the long post, but i would appreciate you opinions

·
Registered
668 Posts
I rode a HT for a good 8 years before switching over a few months ago (to a Turner Burner). I will still keep the HT, but may make it into a singlespeed or lite racebike - I doubt I'll use it as my main ride ever again. FS has been great - while my new bike is heavier, I don't notice it. I've been able to clean sections easier on the way up, and I expend less energy picking through lines - now I just spin up sections. There's no comparison on the downhill - much faster and smoother. The biggest advantage so far has been in fatigue - I can ride longer and feel it less after a ride - the bike takes some of the abuse your body takes. I'm riding faster and longer overall on the FS bike.

All that said, the FS doesn't make it silky smooth the whole way (up or down). You still need bike handling and leg power to ride well. It does take the edge off, though.

For commuting, I'd get an older (cheap, but good frame 12 or 14 speed) used road bike and set it up with fenders and panniers. It'd be much more pleasant than pushing around all of that rubber...

·
Registered
834 Posts
donboyfisher said:
OK, I have a hardtail at the moment and i am currently saving to get a new bike in the forseeable future. I am currently torn between a hardtail and a full susser.

While I do go out on some longer trails mainly based on forest tracks and things ( and i do like to potter about on the street bouncing around on and off little obstacles ), i have to admit that the majority of my miles are built up on the commute to work and back every other day. This commute is about 10 miles each way and geniunely is a case of 5 miles up hill and then 5 miles back down the other side, while not particulary steep overall ( climb from sea level to 350m over the 5 miles ) its a pretty constant incline.

I've had a couple of quick shots on a variety of bikes and i've been really surprised at just how light full sussers are getting - they *feel* lighter than my current steed. My current short list is generally:

-Klein Attitude
- Cannondale F800
- Trek Liquid 10
- Gary Fisher Cake 3 dlx

Without getting too much into which bike is better ( unless you have direct comparison experience of each ) , by question is:

Regardless of bobbing, just how much do you guys feel that a full suspension takes more energy to climb on a hard surface like a road than a hardtail?

do you feel its really really obvious that you need a lot more energy to peddle up hill or is it just that you feel its slightly harder, but not by much.

I wont be racing, and i often tend to sit in the saddle when doing the climb for the commute. At the same time, i want a bike that is comfy for longer rides but will still climb reasonably well, but still be able to handle a few knocks and bumps on some harder decents. If the difference in energy levels was marginal, then i would go FS

I recently changed my tyres to Panaracer speedblasters and they have made a whopping difference to who well my hardtail seems to go along - so i would consider fitting them too.

Lastly, i'm 6ft1 and about 210lbs

sorry for the long post, but i would appreciate you opinions
some thoughts..

The Liquid and the Cake are not meant for commuting to and from work.

The Attitude and F800 are among the best hardtails frame wise.

Seems you spend the better part of your riding commuting on roads, then I would say hardtail. A full susser being used on roads is akin to a SUV being used to bring kids to and from urban schools. It can be done but imagine driving all the extra tonnage.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
yes

older guy said:
some thoughts..

The Liquid and the Cake are not meant for commuting to and from work.
That is very true. Commuting on a cheap old road bike would probably be better. But, if you just want to have one bike, a hardtail is probably the best. You could add a thudbuster post for a little extra comfort. And if you decide you still want to go fs, try to stick with the shorter travel bikes. They will be more efficient, and lighter as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts