Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

been looking around for some replacement pins for my ans10 pedals. cant seem to find any at local bike shops that are the same length..I wouldn't mind longer pins but all the ones they have a shorter.

the most info i can find is that they are a 1/8' 9mm. dont know thread or pitch. can't even find replacements online. any help would be awesome

·
825 Posts
Old thread, but no one replied. I have the same question today.

I've been happy with my ANS10's, but the weirdness of their pins would give me pause before buying them again. The hex head of the screws is 2mm and 2.5mm, which would make someone assume they're metric. The socket cap thread OD is .122 inches, which is a hair larger than #6. The thread pitch on the socket cap screws is 40 tpi. That's about .64mm, which isn't anywhere close to a legitimate metric size.

The OD on the set screw is 0.158", which is close to 4mm. The pitch on the "set screw" is 36 tpi, which is close to 0.7mm. Ok, so maybe that one is metric, aside from the wierd "stepped down" thread.

My intent was to order stainless screws, but it's not going to be that easy. If I can't find any factory replacements, I might just tap it out to 6-40 and try out some M4-.7 screws.

Anyway, that's what it looks like from the notes I scribbled down when I was in the garage. I thought it would be easy.

·
825 Posts
HT Components ANS10 Pedal Pins

I finally got around to measuring
everything, comparing, and finding proper replacement screws. It's odd that HT chose to use custom fasteners with both SAE and metric characteristics. They probably did it in a feeble attempt to become the sole source for replacement parts. No matter, we can get domestically made stainless steel screws for cheaper than the bags of parts available off eBay. I'll give you the McMaster-Carr part number, and the price that I paid today.

The factory Allen cap screws are 5-40. The length is 0.395". That's 0.020" longer than the 3/8" that are readily available, and that's not much. If it bothers you, you can buy new washers, which are thinner, and everything will be just perfect. For the pins I replaced today, I used 7/16" screws, and then ground them down with a Dremel after they were installed. Screws are cheap enough that I got a box of each length.

The set screw pins are 8-36, and are stepped down to a smaller diameter. Stepped set screws are very expensive, so I'm just going with a straight up #8. The original length of these screws is 0.316". I went with 3/8", and will leave them at that length because these screws sit a little low anyway. If I change my mind, grinding them down with a Dremel will take mere minutes.

I also got a bag of washers because they're cheap, and sometimes new parts are needed. Here's the part numbers:

18-8 Stainless Allen screw, 5-40 thread, 3/8" long, 50 pieces, $2.94. Part number 92196A126
18-8 Stainless Allen screw, 5-40 thread, 7/16" long, 50 pieces, $4.20. Part number 92196A127
18-8 Stainless washer for M3 screw, 3.2mm ID, 6mm OD, 100 pieces, $2.71. Part number 98689A112
18-8 Stainless cup point set screw, 8-36 thread, 3/8" long, 50 pieces, $9.09. Part number 92311A298

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.