Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Your bike is incorrigible
Joined
·
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good 4wd truck that does not have rear suspension. I figure I should learn how to drive off road without any rear suspension since it will force me to become a better driver and pick my lines more carefully.:rolleyes:

Any ideas?
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,227 Posts
That's just mean.

Guyechka said:
I'm looking for a good 4wd truck that does not have rear suspension. I figure I should learn how to drive off road without any rear suspension since it will force me to become a better driver and pick my lines more carefully.:rolleyes:

Any ideas?
Funny, but very mean. I still think the best analogy is the hardtail dirt motorcycle. We could even get the Discovery Channel to enlist the American Chopper boys to build it...since they obviously know nothing about suspension.:D
 

·
Your bike is incorrigible
Joined
·
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TNC said:
Funny, but very mean. I still think the best analogy is the hardtail dirt motorcycle. We could even get the Discovery Channel to enlist the American Chopper boys to build it...since they obviously know nothing about suspension.:D
Yes, I am extremely sarcastic today. I was thinking about the car analogy as a way to explain the reason for FS to my bro-in-law so he wouldn't buy a HT (just because it was what he was used to). Can you imagine what a HT car would ride like? Or you could take it a step up and have a thudbuster, just like the covered wagons had seats on leaf springs.

I'm just tired of the purist mentality. HTs are not better, and there is really no point in making it more difficult for yourself. Ride a unicycle if you're into masochism.

BTW: I own two HTs, and I do ride them both. I'm saying that, if someone is going to own one bike, it should be FS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Guyechka said:
BTW: I own two HTs, and I do ride them both. I'm saying that, if someone is going to own one bike, it should be FS.
In general, I'm inclined to agree with you. However if someone has less than $1000 to spend on a mountain bike, I'd point them towards a nicer hardtail rather than a fire-road only FS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,267 Posts
Guyechka said:
I'm just tired of the purist mentality. HTs are not better, and there is really no point in making it more difficult for yourself. Ride a unicycle if you're into masochism.

.
I'm tired of the slack-ass "I need FS" mentality myself, nor do I agree that they're always better but I'm sick of beating a dead horse, enjoy.
 

·
Your bike is incorrigible
Joined
·
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SPDu4ea said:
In general, I'm inclined to agree with you. However if someone has less than $1000 to spend on a mountain bike, I'd point them towards a nicer hardtail rather than a fire-road only FS
Yes, I should have stipulated that cost was a limiting factor. Under a grand and you can get a HT with good components. Over a grand and you can start looking at FS rigs.

What bothers me is that someone will post "Looking for a new bike. $1500 to spend". If the person is a new rider, then half the responses will be in favor of a HT. "It's so you will learn to be a good rider, learn to pick your lines carefully." First, I do not believe this is true. You learn to pick your lines whether you have a HT or four inches on the rear. Secondly, how many newbies have been discouraged by being bounced all over the place for no good reason?

Why is it that, in this day and age when we have ultra good platform technology, there are still plenty of HT holdouts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,237 Posts
The problem with that analogy is that you can suck up bumps by standing and flexing at the knees and elbows when you ride a bike. Not so when you're sitting in a truck. And not all trails are rocky ones either. FS, especially over 3 or 4 inches, is overkill for a lot of things.

FWIW, my main ride is FS but I do appreciate taking a spin on a rigid from time to time.
 

·
Your bike is incorrigible
Joined
·
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jugdish said:
Mountain Cycle San Andreas - you're f-ing kidding right?!
Uh, what are you trying to start, a fight over how much suspension is too much or the brand of my bike?

And I also ride a '96 Rocky Mountain Equipe 2X7 with a fork that is basically locked up so there is no suspension.

And I ride a Kona Hoss. In fact, I probably put as many miles on the Hoss as I do the San Andreas.

You, my friend, seriously need to take a deep breath and chill.:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,294 Posts
dir-T said:
The problem with that analogy is that you can suck up bumps by standing and flexing at the knees and elbows when you ride a bike. Not so when you're sitting in a truck. And not all trails are rocky ones either. FS, especially over 3 or 4 inches, is overkill for a lot of things.

FWIW, my main ride is FS but I do appreciate taking a spin on a rigid from time to time.
Right. And besides, the HT vs. FS debate really boils down to personal preferance. I have 2 HTs right now, but one is getting swapped out for a 6" fully very shortly. Do I really think that HTs are unquestionably better? Nope. Both have their pros and cons. I happen to like HTs for most of my riding (technical East Coast singletrack), but I definatly see the merits of a FS too. That's why I'm getting one. If I could only have one bike, it would be a HT though. That's because I like HTs. If you would rather ride a FS, ride one and enjoy it.

Oh, and Guyechka, that first post was hillarious. :lol:
 

·
bi-winning
Joined
·
11,109 Posts
My first real MTB was a HT, mainly due to cost. I rode it until it cracked, then i went for an NRS.

But what i found to be the most useful for skill development and picking lines was racing. When somebody pulls away from you because you hit a few too many roots, it really helps you think about picking faster lines. I still need lots of practice.

You don't need to race, just follow somebody who does have skills.

It takes more than three inches of travel for you to not lose speed over rough stuff. You can still learn all the same lessons on a FS bike. It could be less discouraging, as the consequences for picking a bad line are lessened.
 

·
bi-winning
Joined
·
11,109 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
Right. And besides, the HT vs. FS debate really boils down to personal preferance. I have 2 HTs right now, but one is getting swapped out for a 6" fully very shortly. Do I really think that HTs are unquestionably better? Nope. Both have their pros and cons. I happen to like HTs for most of my riding (technical East Coast singletrack), but I definatly see the merits of a FS too. That's why I'm getting one. If I could only have one bike, it would be a HT though. That's because I like HTs. If you would rather ride a FS, ride one and enjoy it.

Oh, and Guyechka, that first post was hillarious. :lol:
You are gettin a FS bike? :eekster: That is so contradictory!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,267 Posts
Guyechka said:
Uh, what are you trying to start, a fight over how much suspension is too much or the brand of my bike?

And I also ride a '96 Rocky Mountain Equipe 2X7 with a fork that is basically locked up so there is no suspension.

And I ride a Kona Hoss. In fact, I probably put as many miles on the Hoss as I do the San Andreas.

You, my friend, seriously need to take a deep breath and chill.:cool:
You go trolling and sometimes you'll get a bite...
 

·
Your bike is incorrigible
Joined
·
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hardtails Are Better said:
Only if I like it... :lol:
Wojcik "Solution" is the FS to get.

I'm still surprised that in eight years in CT I've only seen one of his bikes. As a matter of fact, the other day I saw my second IF (first one I've seen being ridden). What gives with no one on the east coast riding bikes that were made on the east coast for the east coast?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Funny thing is most trucks actually have decent suspensions in the rear, its the fronts that lag. Contrary to what the car commercials want you to think the minimal IFS wheel travel on most trucks just sucks offroad! I wound up cutting the IFS off my old yota and going to a solid axle for just that reason. Too bad there aren't more choices for new trucks with decent front suspension these days.:mad:

Not that anyone cares! Just thought I'd indulge your sarcasm a little.:D

Kevo
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top