Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Clyde. 6' 5" 300lbs (well maybe 295 now...). I just got back into riding this past summer, Brought a new 29" FS bike in the Fall and have finally got serious about training. I found that working out and the local YMCA at lunch time gived me an uninteruptable time window for exercise. I've been spinning ~3+ times per week and getting out on my mountain bike once on the weekends. I can tell my cardio fitness and my legs are much improved.:D :D I also have a fluid/mag trainer in the garage (not currently set up.

I want to get serious about training! I used to be 215 (20yrs ago) and had very good legs (or so I was told). Unfortunately my training time is limited. I've done some reading and it looks like HRMs have come a looonnngggg way!!!! I want one I can take to the Y, use on my bike and use on my trainer. I also want one that will help me optimize my training so I neither over nor under train. My current spin method at the Y is to spin at a heart rate that's about 140-145. I'm 48 so it's a bit above the 222-age recommendation... I haven't had a heart attack yet... Anyhow, I've looked at a few and the Polar RS800CX looks really nice. It's a watch format which makes it very portable and usable for many sports. Also it has the ability to port data to a PC for analysis and progress tracking. It's a tad pricey. However, I'll spend anything to get the health improvements I'm starting to see!:)

·
Registered
467 Posts
I just got a Polar FT4. Its nothing fancy but gets the job done really nicely for $65 (Amazon.com) I am told you can port the data, but why bother, use that time training.

I'm 38 and 150#'s I was amazed at how ofter my HR is in the 160 -175 range (attacking the climbs) and how comfortable I feel riding in that range. At least the HR recover looks good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got the RS800CX and it's a really nice piece of kit. I own three Polar monitors and it is easily the nicest, so far. My other two models were both top end machines, too and they just seem to keep getting better and better. I love the analysis software and being able to track routes on Google Earth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.