Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone experience discomfort using an HRM strap with a Camelbak? When I put them on, I have the continual sensation that the HRM is going to slip off because the Camelbak is pushing it down. It never does, but it's an uncomfortable feeling anyway. Maybe I just need to get used to it? I use the old style Garmin strap, and a Camelbak HAWG. Are other straps better in this regard, or other hydration packs?

Thanks!

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Yes, the strap does drop down just a little with a pack. I don't like the weight and heat retention on my back, so I use bottles on the bike and jersey pockets as much as possible, or a fanny pack when I need more room. Rarely do I use a Camelbak.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
I forego the pack in races but carry too much stuff on normal long rides to ditch it. Like anything else just have to get used to it I guess.
I stopped wearing a HRM for a couple fo reasons, one being the discomfort when riding with a Camelbak and the ensuing tightness feeling when tightening it such that it doesn't feel like it'll fall down. Of course the erratic readings of the Garmin "improved soft HR strap" we're the main point for relying solely on power from then on.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
I stopped wearing a HRM for a couple fo reasons, one being the discomfort when riding with a Camelbak and the ensuing tightness feeling when tightening it such that it doesn't feel like it'll fall down. Of course the erratic readings of the Garmin "improved soft HR strap" we're the main point for relying solely on power from then on.
I have no choice. No HRM printouts to the cardiologist, no MTB riding. (Cardiac surgery in 2005.) Funny what you can tolerate when your fun and maybe your life depends on it. :cool:

I use an electrode contact gel and the old style strap and it does not have to be that tight, as long as I don't put a pack on my back. The movement of the pack shoves the HRM strap down.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
I bought the new strap thinking it would hold better since it's softer. It actually is but the erratic readings for a heavy sweater like me makes it a no-no...

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
I bought the new strap thinking it would hold better since it's softer. It actually is but the erratic readings for a heavy sweater like me makes it a no-no...
There was a serious defective premium strap when released. It has been replaced by a "new" soft strap, but many users on the Garmin forums still have troubles with it. They are being told by Garmin support that the older hard strap is best, and replacing the "new" soft one with the hard strap.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
There was a serious defective premium strap when released. It has been replaced by a "new" soft strap, but many users on the Garmin forums still have troubles with it. They are being told by Garmin support that the older hard strap is best, and replacing the "new" soft one with the hard strap.
I have the old plastic one and the new premium. The old plastic one gives the best readings bu it'st not that comfy. Anyways, having a power meter, I rely on it when training indoors now. When training outdoors, I just push hard in an unstructured manner.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.