Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Haven't had any noticeable interference with my garmin hr strap while wearing the osprey pack. My pack chest strap magnet sits higher on my chest than the hr strap.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Any nickel coating would only provide negligible shielding. Magnetic fields only affect electric fields (i.e. cause 'interference') when the magnetic field is changing (for instance the electric field curls around the changing magnetic field). In a permanent magnet, the only change in B field comes from movement (pedaling etc.) which is orders of magnitude slower than the communication frequency so net effects would be difficult to measure, i.e. far under -100 db and ~entirely due to shielding.

The magnetic field is what allows consistency between electric field and charge interactions over multiple frames of reference which can vary based on relativistic effects. At very high speed, i.e. approaching the speed of light, magnetic fields can become electric fields and in this case some interference could occur based on velocity fluctuation. However it is unlikely we would approach these speeds even with larger wheels gaining popularity.

It is interesting to note that magnetism is one of the few opportunities we have to directly observe relativistic effects with simple tools. It is an electric field, but we are simply moving too slowly to perceive it as such.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts