Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I haven't been, but if you go today can you post the conditions? I was going to ride ToT tomorrow, but would rather hit-up HP.

Ant

·
Registered
74 Posts
Drove by HP on the way to ToT today. A few inches of snow still at HP, would be a tough, messy ride.

ToT on the other hand, was bone dry dirt. The sun today didn't hurt much, either. A few branches and the like.....move plenty of those...but the riding was pretty rockin'. Oh, and careful of the thorns, pretty vicious if they get ya'.

·
Registered
74 Posts
rode there today

Gave HP a try today. Parked and rode from the lot near the st police, and stayed on that side. "Patchy" would be a good way to describe it. Didn't have my studs on. Many trails are snow free, and even more have some snow/icy stuff on them. For the most part, not deep enough to impede good progress. But, some real momentum killers out there, too. If I were to go back, I would consider using the studded tires, especially after things freeze up tonite. Good stuff if your into some adventure and fresh air.

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
HP after new years snow?

Anyone know the conditions now that we've had more snow?
Lookin for a place to ride on tuesday.

·
Registered
130 Posts
BMJ, I am going to take a drive through later today, will post an update this afternoon.

Fred

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Reposado77 said:
BMJ, I am going to take a drive through later today, will post an update this afternoon.

Fred
Fredo I think we are thinking Otis for tomorrow.. Cary, BTF, you, and I...I'll call you later.. Also BTF is going to look into Dogtown....CF....

·
Registered
130 Posts
CF Sounds like a plan.

HP is like everything else around here 2-3 inches of wind blown snow. Completely rideable with the added bonus of slippy in roots and rocks :thumbsup:

Fred

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
CRAZY FRED said:
Fredo I think we are thinking Otis for tomorrow.. Cary, BTF, you, and I...I'll call you later.. Also BTF is going to look into Dogtown....CF....
Dogtown isn't looking so hot right now 2 to 4" of windblown w/some of the fireroads being packed snow. But not packed enough that you float over the top. I'm going in later this afternoon to try it out but I'm not very optimistic.

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
Ya Dogtown...

woodyak said:
Dogtown isn't looking so hot right now 2 to 4" of windblown w/some of the fireroads being packed snow. But not packed enough that you float over the top. I'm going in later this afternoon to try it out but I'm not very optimistic.
I live in Gloucester as well and tried riding around the area today. Some areas are blown thin enough to push through but alot of areas are drifted too thick to get through. Slippery powder that packs into the tires was making for tough going.:madman:

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
HP ride 1-4-09..

Well boys this snow is not going anywhere so make the best of it..And that's just what we did..We tried to hit School St.but no go, so off to HP we went..It was one of those snow rides that seemed to just stop as soon as you got it going...Of course when you ride with the guys that I ride with there seems to ALWAYS be more laughing than riding ( and trust me we ride). So it was a day full of fun and laughs mixed in with a few 20 foot sections of riding here and there...Not sure what's in store for the up and coming week but I'd say with a few some what warm and sunny days next week at HP there should be a better chance of riding. Time will tell...CF.

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
We'll give it a stab.

Thanks CF,

We'll be hitting HP on tuesday night. A little thaw on monday and a refreeze on tuesday might do the trick other wise it's off to the Piccadilly Pub for brew.:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
HP Conditions

After reading some optimistic reports on the trail conditions at HP, I decided to give it a go yesterday. Started at the Berry Pond Trail head (Jenkins Rd) and followed the fire road towards the single track. The fire road was a combo of boot tracks, xc skis, snowshoe and a large 4wd, so I was in high spirits that the conditions might be sleek & fast / mid winter snomobile type! But NFW, the pack was still too loose and the riding was not "fun", yes it was doable, but any uphill was practically "standing in the saddle". The single track was worse. Frozen granular is not what we need! Maybe the wet snow/rain of today if followed by below freez temps will firm things up. I ended up riding the roads back to the start (studs on the road really scrubs speed!!)...I will check again on friday if the temps drop for a day or so

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mtbikerejg said:
After reading some optimistic reports on the trail conditions at HP, I decided to give it a go yesterday. Started at the Berry Pond Trail head (Jenkins Rd) and followed the fire road towards the single track. The fire road was a combo of boot tracks, xc skis, snowshoe and a large 4wd, so I was in high spirits that the conditions might be sleek & fast / mid winter snomobile type! But NFW, the pack was still too loose and the riding was not "fun", yes it was doable, but any uphill was practically "standing in the saddle". The single track was worse. Frozen granular is not what we need! Maybe the wet snow/rain of today if followed by below freez temps will firm things up. I ended up riding the roads back to the start (studs on the road really scrubs speed!!)...I will check again on friday if the temps drop for a day or so
I hear ya. I even went out this weekend and packed down a few miles of singletrack with snowshoes, but the trails in NH are as bad if not worse. Pawtuckaway usually gets allot of snowmobile usage so that stuff is rideable, but not a whole lot of fun, still, better than a trainer:thumbsup:

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
Went last night.

Me and my buddies went in for a night ride last night. It was 25deg or so and the trails were firming up. It wasn't too bad if you stayed on the travelled lines, once of the side you were stuck. Going into it knowing it wasn't going to be a summer ride made it entertaining to try to keep it movin forward in an upright position. Some downhill areas were more like skiing than biking. We did run into a couple of other riders trying to make the best of it.

The best part of riding in these conditions and time of year is the trip to the pub after to warm up inside and out!:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Fire roads/snowmobile trails around Fomba/Tower Hill area were in great shape last night. No studs required. It's not single track but it's way better than spin class.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
shadrack said:
Fire roads/snowmobile trails around Fomba/Tower Hill area were in great shape last night. No studs required. It's not single track but it's way better than spin class.
Sounds like you need to find yourself a new spin class...:p ........On a lighter note plan to hit HP again on Sunday if by chance anybody Hit's on Sat. please post up a conditions post...Thanks...CF......

1 - 20 of 31 Posts