Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stopped by there last night to check.

Single track has about 2" loose granular. The fire roads are packed tight but very lumpy, low tire psi and soft suspension damping will help. Studs on the fire roads might be nice too. My grippy hiking boots were slipping easily.

I'm heading an "Ice Box" ride on Sunday morning. I'm hoping that the next couple cold days will solidify the single track more.

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got back from HP. Conditions were good as long as you stayed on the popular trails. The snow is packed and solid. Studs by choice, not necc. Stay off the fire roads, super bumpy due to foot and horse traffic.

·
I like to ride my bike.
1,597 Posts
I rode the fireroads and singletrack without studs. Like BMJ said, if you stay on popular trails, the conditions are really, really good. Fireroads are rough, but rideable.

I rode Saturday and Sunday and had fun.

·
"55 lbs and climbing!"
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You need the cold with the current snow cover. If the temps come up too high or the sun becomes too strong, the pack will loosen up and make riding miserable. It's not bad at all once you get going. The toes always get me though.

·
Rider of Bikes
102 Posts
Again today. I rode from the house...to the Jenkin's lot, around the Salem pond area...up the back side...and back out...across Jenkin's Road...to the "West Side". 80% packed snow, 10% Ice, 10% frozen dirt. Should be a great weekend for riding. Pictures are from the Jenkin's and Salem Pond areas. You could go either way with studs or rubber, but I found the riding to have more than enough grip on the snow with just rubber. The ice was slippy.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.