Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, probably ordering an XX cassette tomorrow, and I'm just trying to finish talking myself into it. Do you guys think you could get two full seasons out of the XX Cassette... if yes, I'm in.

Thanks! Adam

·
CHOP!
243 Posts
ADDam said:
Hey Guys, probably ordering an XX cassette tomorrow, and I'm just trying to finish talking myself into it. Do you guys think you could get two full seasons out of the XX Cassette... if yes, I'm in.
It really depends on how much and in what conditions you ride but, yeah, I would guess two seasons for anything less than extreme conditions could be expected. I've had a great experience on my XX cassettes.

Keep in mind that XX is lighter than XTR cassette without sacrificing durability by using Titanium. The X.O. level PG-1080 cassette is still lighter and cheaper than XTR and could be another good option for you.

Nagaredama said:
I doubt it, they can't heat treat them so aren't as durable as XTR or the other SRAM cassettes.
Can you verify this? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welp, I just ordered the XX 11-36, hope I dont have to do that again until 2013.

What chain are you guys using with your XX Cassette, I have a new X10sl at home... probably just stick with that.

Thanks! Adam

·
The SRAM guy
46 Posts
I doubt it, they can't heat treat them so aren't as durable as XTR or the other SRAM cassettes.

I'm not sure what that means, or where you got your information, but it's no accurate.

Regarding the 11-36 XX cassette, we have had World Cup pros run a single XX cassette longer than a full season. That is pretty significant. There are a few things to consider on wear.
1. A clean and properly lubed chain and drivetrain will make all the difference in the lifespan. Don't be lazy.
2. 10 cogs spread the wear better than 9 cogs. Assuming you shift from time to time, you should actually get less wear on each cog because it will see less chain time. If you have a single cog, it always gets the wear from the chain. If you have 2 cogs, and use each one 50% of the time, you double the life span, all things being equal. take that out to a 10 speed versus 9 speed cassette, and you get the idea.
3. Because of a 36 large cog and many other larger cogs on the cassette, you decrease the wear rate. A 12 tooth cog will wear out faster than a 30 tooth cog if used in the same conditions, etc...

You will be pleassantly surprised by the lifespan of an XX or X0 (1080) cassette, unless you don't take reasonable care of your bike. And if that's the case, you shouldn't be surprised about anything.

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
2014 Update

My XX 1099 cassette has 9457(raced Leadville 100 TWICE) miles on it. New, in 2011 - it weighed 209g and now it weighs 205g. Still shifts perfectly. I have religiously changed chains on this uber-pricey wear item....to the tune of EIGHT!

SRAM XX Cassette chain history:
1) SRAM PC-1070 = 1145miles
2) KMC X10 SL ti-nitride gold = 997miles
3) KMC X10 SL silver = 843miles(succumbed to chainsuck)
4) SRAM PC-1091R = 1032miles
5) Shimano XTR CN-M980 = 1309miles
6) Shimano XTR CN-M980 = 1257miles
7) SRAM PC-1070 = 1418miles
8) SRAM PC-1091R = 1456miles(current)

Metal Gear Steel Engineering Aluminium

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have over one season with a few 12hr, 24hr and endurance races on mine. I keep everything together and ride it into the ground then replace the whole drivetrain together. I tried changing out chains and would always get skipping when introducing a new chain. I used my Park chain checker and just didn't get the multi chain change to work. Chains aren't cheap either so I'm much happier running it all into the ground. I have one bike that the chain checker is maxed out but the bike runs perfect. I ran across this video for the Connex chain but I didn't see any difference to a Dura Ace.
Wippermann Chain Test Video - YouTube

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.