Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
Mine's heavy...at least compared to my singlespeed.
However, since I weigh about 200 pounds, I think if the bike weighed any less (it's probably in the 28-29# range) I would be risking my health. No thanks.

I'll gladly add a little weight for peace of mind (and rigidity).

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My figure looks like pink panther.
I'm 6' tall and weigh 165 lbs ( including gears )
So, lighter duty parts should be okay for me
You have almost the same parts as mine
except tires, crank and brakes.
and what's up with the red anodized alloy chainring bolt? :D
Nicely built, by the way.

·
Registered
274 Posts
With my "light" tires (2.1" WTB Epicwolfs), It's about 26.5lbs. With 2.25" Intense System 4's, it's closer to 27lbs and change.

Eric

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
E-man said:
With my "light" tires (2.1" WTB Epicwolfs), It's about 26.5lbs. With 2.25" Intense System 4's, it's closer to 27lbs and change.

Eric
Man... you got a picture of your bike?? Thanks!!

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
TC3, thanks for the complement.
Yes, for your weight, you should be fine with similar parts. The problem I'm sure you run into is that for your height, all the parts are bigger and therefore heavier. You'll notice the difference in tire weigh more than anything. Moreover, sticky-type tires will also feel really heavy and slow. Like E mentioned, it helps to have a couple sets of tires to have the most ideal tire for the ride (you don't need big, sticky tires for a fireroad cruise).

The red chainring bolts on the chainrings or derailleur hanger? (they're sold 5 to a kit)

When I first built the bike (picture posted on the "Nirvana" post), I had CrossMax wheels and light tires. It was probably sub 27. Unfortunately, those wheels are way to light for me. It was amazing how much more precision my steering was with the beefier wheels (generally recommended max weight for the CrossMax wheels is about 160#).

Weight isn't the only factor. Riding style and terrain play a lot into it. While drops are certainly hard on a bike, attacking big studder bumps is really hard on bikes (casing double jumps is really bad - trust me).

The parts that really scare me are those made from carbon fiber and (not related to weight) are chains that are more than a year old. Another thing of age I worry about are handlebars - more than a couple seasons of aggressive riding and they should be tossed.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
E's bike is posted here in a couple places.
It's a dark grey with the "special" white stickers. Really sweet looking.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
My medium 5.5 is 12.7Kg. (27.94Lbs.) Minute 3:00, 4 way swinger, full XTR 04 including hubs on Mavic XM819, Easton Monkey Light lowriser carbon bar, Thomson Stem and Seatpost, WTB Pure saddle, Shimano 959 pedals and Continental Vertical UST.

The wheels are a bit heavy but I'm about 200lbs so I need them a bit stronger and the tires are about 750 grams each. I don't think I could get the bike much lighter short of changeing the wheels.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My ball burnished large 5.5 is just under 28lbs. Using Sram X.0 rear, XT front, XT cassette, XT cranks and bottom bracket, FSA carbon bars, Chris King head set, Mavic Crossmax wheels. You guys are making me nervous about my wheels. I am 215lbs. I have had a couple of sets of Crossmax in the past and did pull spokes on one wheel. I figured the extra travel would help reduce some of the stress on the wheels. I really wish I had gone with the Chris King hubs and maybe 819's or something like that. We went with the lighter wheels mainly because I have been riding a really light XC bike and we were trying to maintain some of that feel.

Craig
the Gorge

·
Auto-x addict
281 Posts
TC3 said:
I guess I'll start.
27.5 lbs.
Still making efforts to make it sub 27 lbs with real parts....
Shouldn't be too hard
30lbs with parts I don't need to think about. I had to take into account my sort-of ham fisted riding style. :)

·
Homer's problem child
1,320 Posts
Say WHUUU?

My 5.5 hits at about 32 lbs. I am very hard on cranks, BB's, handle bars, stems, pedals and wheels so I have DH versions of all those parts, and I am running UST 2.3 tires at 800+ grams each, and waiting for a good 2.5 UST tire to come out. I weigh about 210 lbs in my riding gear. But I don't have to worry about anything breaking. I usually bend a set of cranks and pedals every season. And if you have ever broken a stem you know why I am running an azonic shorty. It is ugly when that happens, way worse than breaking bars.

Better safe than sorry I say, if I could lose 10 lbs it would be way better than taking weight off my bike. Good luck, the only way you know if you take this gram counting too far is when you are picking yourself up off the ground and checking which parts need stitches.

·
Registered
345 Posts

Mine comes in at 27.2 now with a 05 Float,
small Frame Crossmax xl 05 float rlc, avid mechs Easton ea 70 Bars Tune Seatpost WTB stealth saddle, Next LP Cranks, X0 Shifters and der. Ritchey WCS stem Racing Ralphs

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
A bit off the subject but I see the last two guys to post are useing 2005 Fox Forx. There was a string about the knobs on the top of the fork hitting the frame when turned to far. Is this still the case. I'm interested in getting a 2005 TALAS but won't go for it if there is a chance of wrecking the frame of fork. The guy that posted the problem had a a small. Mine is a medium and I'm not sure if it's also a problem on a medium.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Ronnie,

My 5.5 is a Small size and I confirm, the rebound knob touch my frame. I have the same problem with the new Pike. The Gate knob touch too...see picture...

Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
118cbl95 said:
Hi Ronnie,

My 5.5 is a Small size and I confirm, the rebound knob touch my frame. I have the same problem with the new Pike. The Gate knob touch too...see picture...

Ben
Man that's not good. One good crash and the fork is going to get it! Does anyone know if its the same on a medium frame?

Ronnie.

·
Auto-x addict
281 Posts
Ronnie said:
Man that's not good. One good crash and the fork is going to get it! Does anyone know if its the same on a medium frame?

Ronnie.
Hey Ronnie,
My med. has an '04 TALAS with a King headset and, while there was interference, there was not so much as there was any damage caused. Just a small scratch on the downtube gusset.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts