Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's the air quality in Santa Fe, Taos, or other places north? Too smokey for me to ride in the ABQ area, but interested in heading north for a day or two to get out of this crappy air.
Thanks!
Richard

·
Registered
143 Posts
not so good

Santa Fe is very smoky. I am going to try to go up high today and see if it gets better. I will let you know. Here's the report from NMfireinfo.com

Smoke from AZ Fires Causing Reduced Visibility Along Interstate 40 near Grants and the Continental Divide
Posted on June 3, 2011 by Dan Ware

Smoke from the Wallow and Horseshoe 2 Wildfires is once again funneling into New Mexico, causing reduced visibility along Interstate 40 from Grants to the Continental Divide.

Smoke is also once again filtering into the Mid Rio Grande Valley, impacting communities such as Socorro, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Espanola and even as far north as Chama.

Here's a smoke map: https://nmtracking.unm.edu/eh_alerts/noaa_wildfiresmoke/

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,749 Posts
The smoke is supposed to lift as the day gets hotter. It is already lifted here in Cochiti Lake. I was out yesterday in the SF National Forest and didn't smell any smoke until I was at about 9000' lower than that, it was all good so it seems as though the smoke is low at night and higher (buy very sparse) during the heat of the day.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Lifted in Taos, sorta nasty this morning. We have our own little fire burning in the Penasco area, no real riding is affected.
Greg

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
The Zuni Mountains have been getting a lot of smoke at times. Seems to move in after noon and gets pretty thick by mid afternoon. Hoping for an early monsoon...

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just came back from the NFH. It is f-ing incredible out there and not in a good way.
Can't even see the peak from the trailheads. The sky is red too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Went to Otero on Saturday and it was ok from about 1:30 pm to 6 or so. Went to White Mesa yesterday at 4:30 and it went from perfectly clear on the drive in to Beijing in 30 minutes. It was awful just being outside - no way to ride a bike in it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yea the smoke has really taken a hit on my ridin. It seems that whenever i can get out for a ride the smoke has moved in.

·
Registered
79 Posts
News reports said the Wallow North fire was started by an unattended campfire.....What? By dummies, criminals or whatever? Can you believe it can be started this way in this day and age? But then the stories my daughter tells me about teaching the dummies in 11th grade, I guess it figures, eh?

·
fraid of heights
1,877 Posts
think of the craziness that would have ensued if it would have looked this way outside back on May 21st when that dude said the rapture/apocalypse was coming!!! :) LOL!

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,749 Posts
alot of choices could you be more specific
Top shelf for $350 an Oz :rockon: I suddenly feel my back pain is making my life miserable and need something so that I can deal.

They need to show pics of their Hashish....I don't see anyone making Blonde anymore which is a disappointment.

Anyone for Durango?...I think I have to get the hell out of here by Thursday morning.

·
I am Walt
6,340 Posts
The Zuni Mountains have been getting a lot of smoke at times. Seems to move in after noon and gets pretty thick by mid afternoon. Hoping for an early monsoon...
Is the smoke impacting the area of the 24-Hours in the EF course? First-timer here, and I don't know the area...thanks!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts