Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and really ended up with nothing more than some set up threads which is not a big help. I'd like to find out if you guys/gals who are racing the Racer X are liking the over all performance, quality, durability of the bike, esp after the new bike jitters wear off. Is it a frame that squeaks and creaks under power, or is it quiet? Are you finding that the propedal lever gets a lot of use to eliminate pedal bob? Anyone using a different rear shock or is the RP23 a standard/required item? Long term owners comments would be greatly appreciated, as well as you've who have owned many different bikes. I've ordered a '09 Carbon X and of course it all looks good on paper, without a test ride its impossible to imagine the riding characteristics of how it climbs, corners, any pedal kickback and is it laterally stiff? The only titus I've experience taking my wife's moto-lite for short spins up and down the street, no probs with that bike at all other than its too small for me to take it out for a proper ride. Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good thread. I would love to see the results as well, I'm looking at ordering a Racer - X Al... I've got all components from the current HT bike, SLR's XO, etc... and would simply toss on a new Fork and all components and call it a day...

But I SURE do love my HT. LIGHT

·
Registered
239 Posts
Highly recommend the bike after a season of racing. No issues with mine at all and still love the bike after a year of riding...I have an RP3 on my bike and set lever on propedal and never take it off until it bouces off (rp3 issue from what I hear), so most of the races I think I ended up with no platform and the bike still rips up and down hills and kills singletrack:thumbsup:. I'll be looking to get the X when they come out after a test ride to make sure it is as good as the old RacerX...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
N8! said:
2 seasons on my exo 29r Rx... solid bike, not a single problem/creak/squeek what so ever. It's an XL frame and weights 26.9 lbs.

However, thinking about adding a Pivot 429...
I bought a 429, sent it back once I put it up on the scale and it was 7.33lbs, Pivot frames aren't light, my XL Sultan was 6.13lb for the frame/shock and built up sub 27 with a F135. My DW sultan is on the way and will build up way lighter and be more capable as a heavy duty XC than the Pivot could have been in my opinion. I'm in the market for a new race bike and the Carbon X is at the top of the list. My last top shelf carbon 26er was a Giant Trance Advance. An XL Giant was approx 25.5lbs, reasonably light, but I had some caveats with that bike and couldn't wait to sell it.

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
RX Love that lasts

Most of the RX racers I know are very happy and may be on their second or third one. But that's anecdotal evidence. Lots of magazine reviews and buyer testimonials to be found for the aluminum, ti, and exo bike. The carbon is much more rare.

Did the OP order a carbon RX, or is it still just high on his list?

Check out this 20 pounder on display at Interbike 2008. Just need to add a bunch of JapoEuroCarbon components, investing about $10k, and you're there.

Nice house/bike N8! Who is your gardener/mechanic?

Attachments

·
parts leftover
997 Posts
I like my 2006 Al Racer X better and better with every ride. You are very perceptive to recognize that new bikes require a bit of effort to get comfortable with. Mine was no exception, especially coming from a hardtail background. I have found what I believe is the perfect setup, although it took some trial and error to get it right. Properly executed and competently piloted, this is one of the best bikes you can buy and I don't think you'll regret the decision to grab the new carbon X.

To answer some of your questions, the fit and finish is top notch. On my aluminum frame, the downtube is vulnerable to dings and the anodizing chips easily, but those won't be issues for you on the carbon frame. I have heard no squeaking or creaking from the pivots, even under power. I had to drill a hole in the bottom bracket shell to drain water, as I had a bottom bracket go crunchy due to water intrusion.

After a season on the bike, I decided that I didn't like the stock RP23 because the compression damping is set too high. Clicking on the ProPedal essentially locks out the rear suspension. A high volume air sleeve and a PUSH tuning job fixed all of my issues, and the bike gets full travel now with no spiking feel on hits or squat on climbs. Unfortunately, PUSH left out the ProPedal lockout for road climbing, so it's going for a re-tune this winter. I never used the ProPedal climbing singletrack, though, because the bike tracks the terrain more solidly and achieves significantly better traction with the ProPedal switch off/fully open.

I've found the most critical thing for unlocking the magic this bike offers is the axle to crown height of the fork. If there is one thing you pay close attention to, this is it. The Racer X is best with a 480mm axle to crown length. I got it with 18 clicks in from fully extended on a Rock Shox Reba U-Turn. The new Rock Shox SID 100mm fork is exactly 480mm axle to crown stock. Any shorter, and the bike goes twitchy nervous and oversteers. Any longer, and it gets sluggish and understeers. This difference is most noticeable at high speeds. Get a fork that has some compression damping capability too, to avoid brake dive.

The RX has a fairly high cockpit (due to a long headtube). If you use too short of a stem, the front end can pop up under power. A 105mm six degree stem flipped to its flatter angle puts me far enough over the wheel to balance the bike a little more evenly. With my saddle set to where a plumb line from my knee touches the center pedal axle at 3 and 9 o'clock, the flat stem facilitates a very neutral feel. Obviously, this stem length will vary for different folks, but it is what works for me.

Finally, use lightweight wheels and tires with decent cornering grip. You will want them for this bike. The design favors railing through corners off the brakes and with the bike leaned over hard. It feels like the bike comes alive at Mach speeds, hence "Racer". I like Continental Explorer 2.1s or Vertical 2.3s best for this bike. The cornering traction is unreal.

Good luck with the build! You've made a great decision. I would buy the new X in a second over the redesigned RX look-alike Specialized Epic with the Mac strut.

[edit: Looked at your post again, the bike has absolutely zero pedal kickback/feedback. The rear is fairly stiff, but I use a DT Swiss RWS ratchet skewer to enhance the stiffness. The clevis-style links are helpful in keeping the bike tight laterally.]

·
Registered
176 Posts
I abuse my carbon

I have had my 08 RX Carbon for a year now , came late last year with 08 RP23 and 08 F100.I was riding an 06 motolite until then. My carbon gets a hiding - I take it down everything that I did on my ML. ML was like driving a big V8 ute - point it anywhere and ride.The Carb RX is a very different animal , rides like a sportscar.
I had a AL RX which I rode 4 x until LBS let me demo and carbon and I changed straight over!.
There is lots on the forums re Al vs Carbon - result really was
if getting RX first time and have the $$ then goto carbon - also has longer frame warranty if have RX already then others questionned the upgrade .
My opinion was alloy felt whippyer - a sharp precise instrument each pedal stroke pushed the bike forwards. My first ride on carbon was I must admit a little disppointment as you didnt feel that little pop with each pedal.What you did get was SMMMOOOOTH carbon seem s to soak up a little chatter , smoother mid corner and pop you out the other side, I like some other riders I have read have had to modify exit strategy from corners as you come out FAST.
The buddy I sold my RX too , hammers the crap out of his.He went from a spec SX trial to a RX and he takes his poor RX everywhere he used to go on his big travel bike - ok we are older guys - dont get massive air but we RIDE our bikes - they dont get preened nor pampered - just RIDDEN
RP23 is great - quite customisable - I ride only in setting 2 propedal on - use on fireroads or smooth climbing , then ride open in anything technical .
So RX can handle the abuse - If anyone could have killed one I would have ( I killed 6 idrive frames a few years back) I do about 4 races a year , and mostly trail ride where other may have more travel but really enjoy the precision of the bike.
That being said - a FTM is on the way ....

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You'll like it more the longer you own it.

I've had my Racer X Al for two seasons now, and I have to say it has been an unbelievably good bike. No suspension creaking, Tons of tire clearance, Extremely rigid laterally. It is a great bike and makes as good as of a trail bike as it does a race bike... and a great race bike it is.

Mine has an RP3, which has less distinct ProPedal settings than the RP3, I set it in position 2 and only go to position 1 for rides over 5 hours or for riding very, very technical stuff. It doesn't seem to lose any energy to flex or suspension movement when climbing. It does seem ride better both uphill and downhill with the shock set to no more than 25% sag, seems best around 20%.

The bike loves to go fast and allows you to carry a ton of speed through corners, but you really need to lean it over, and for me, it helps to get my weight back over the back wheel once I'm committed to the turn. Exit speeds are crazy fast and leaves me thinking "wow I can't believe the bike held onto that" almost every time. I often shoot past other racers in the expert class simply by carrying more speed out of the corners. I only discovered the the cornering abilities after I tried leaning the bike WAY, WAY over and keeping my shoulders parrellel to the ground. It doesn't hurt that I'm running a Nobby Nic 2.25 up front and 2.25 Racing Ralph in th rear.

The ONLY thing that I don't like about the bike is that it is about 1.5 pounds heavier than other XC race steeds. But that is the tradeoff for rigidity and it's excellent capabilies as a trail bike. And for '09 they've managed to close down the weight gap.

Like some others, I'm going to try out a different bike for 2009, but it's more out of curiousity than anything. I won't be surprised if I come back to the X.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have had a ti racer-x for 2 years now and have been in love since day one. It has been the best FS race bike I have ever ridden. The longish top tube works well for me with having shorter legs and longer arms. On a size small I use a 110 stem flipped upside down, which puts just the right amount of weight on the front end to carve turns at speed and keep the bike tracking the ground. The bike loves to climb, and descends better than the yeti asr's I had had previously, but is not as plush and stable as my moto-lite that I just got this year. I race the racer-x in expert XC and the moto-lite in super-d.

The racer-x loves to go. I ditto what brentos says about the cornering. While riding in a group, I can see the riders ahead pedaling away, and I'm usually coasting, pumping and carving those turns. I also like how quiet the ti is. I have since upgraded to I9 wheels and have added that noise, but that's it. I test rode a carbon-x and didi not like the creakin carbon noise or the bouncy feeling. The shocks were probably not set for my weight, but at 120# the carbon may be too stiff for pixy weights. The rp3 is still working perfect after 2 years. That and the suspension design offers a good combination of pedal efficiency and still enables the rear tire to hug the ground in rough terrain. Mine may weigh a tad more than some other bikes out there, but for rough terrain it is a killer bike.

I would buy another and consider upgrading to the X. Great bikes!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
Yeah, the RX doesn't get a lot of attention or love anymore because it has essentially remained the same for the last 8-9 years. That's unheard of for modern FS bikes, but there's a reason for that...... it flat works. Still one of the best designs imo for 3-4 inch FS bikes.

As far as long term love... I still smile almost everytime I get back on my RX100 (HH100x) and hammer out a fast loop on one of my favorite local trails. It still just flat out rips. It is stiff laterally. It accellerates really well, still has that telepathic handling that it's famous for, and there's not a wobble or creak or squeak to be felt or heard. The pivots are as solid and flex free as the day I bought it.........6.5 years ago.

I can't speak for the carbon... but the design is sound and I trust Titus to keep the quality up there.

Buy with confidence.

Attachments

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
KRob said:
... I still smile almost everytime I get back on my RX100 (HH100x) and hammer out a fast loop on one of my favorite local trails. It still just flat out rips. It is stiff laterally. It accellerates really well, still has that telepathic handling that it's famous for, and there's not a wobble or creak or squeak to be felt or heard..
:confused:

I don't get it...how can it be that good? It doesn't even have a dw link.

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
geolover said:
:confused:

I don't get it...how can it be that good? It doesn't even have a dw link.
Warp said:
Yeah, and its not even 100% efficient.... what gives?
LOL. Go back and re-read my reviews boys and you'll see that I'm still a sucker for a well executed Horst-link design.

·
Registered
440 Posts
KRob said:
Buy with confidence.
I agree, had to check my receipts as I did not remember how old my HH100x is... It's is 5 years this December. Mine didn't include HH100x sticker on the top tube though.
About the only things I'd like to change are:
- cable routing for rear derailleur between top tube and seat stay, if cable housing is not exatly right length it will cause ghost shifting. I think I'll finally drill open the cable stops for full length outers this winter.
- seat tube extension should have some sort of brace or other reinforcement (I believe this is where couple of HH100x's have been broken?).

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Update:
Frameset should be here in January, just in time for me to have it ready to race at 24hrs in the Old Peublo.
Ordered these today:
Durin SL 100mm-black
DT-carbon rear shock
Marta Mg Ti brakes 160/160
Carbon Raceface Next cranks, ceramic bearings, 2ti pedals
XTR shifting
Wheelset-DT swiss carbons
Bar, stem, post-either raceface Next or EC90.
SLR saddle
ESI grips
Ti, Carbon, Aluminum wherever it'll work best.
21lbs is the goal!!!
This is going to be fun!!!!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Best I've Ever Owned

I've only had my my RX 29 since march, however, I've used raced the crap out of it this year: Boggs 8hr, 12hrs of Weaverville [mudfest], 12hrs of Temecula, Cascade Creampuff [more mud], 12hrs of Humboldt, and Whiskeytown 9 to 5 [8hr mudfest]. Through it all, the frame and shock have been flawless with no creaks, squeaks, leaks or failures. It was an easy fit, and even easier ride to get used to. It does everything well or at least competently. It's certainly the fastest rough terrain climber I've ever ridden.
It's been the best frame I've ever owned, and I've owned a LOT of frames since 1988. I don't believe it's gotten the recognition within the 29er world that it deserves, likely because it's based on an "old" design - oh well.......sometimes "new" isn't better, it's just new.
Here's mine:

Attachments

·
A Superhero Named Tony
164 Posts
I've been riding my 2007 aluminum RX year-round for nearly two years now. I still find myself find myself consciously impressed by the awesomeness of this bike. I find that it responds really well to body english. Lean back and blast down the hills. Lean forward, shortening the head-tube angle and rail the sharp turns. With freshly rebuilt shocks it sucks up everything I throw at it and feels like it can float over the chatter. Granted I weigh a buck-fifty and have my RX built up to sub 25 lbs. I ride the crap out of it and have to pull it apart, clean it, and rebuild the shock and fork about twice a year. If I ride it in the rain it inevitably develops creaks but given the swampy conditions I ride in, that is to be expected. Pull it apart, clean it, re-lube, and the squeak goes away. I should probably try something besides grease to lube it.

In summary, If it were a woman, I would marry her and never want for another, until I broke her in half. But the way I'm hung that's not even the remotest possibility. Wait, are we still talking about bikes?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts