Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey just went to whistler this last summer and i wanted to plan another trip for next summer. i live in southern cal. and i was looking at northstar tahoe. i wanted to to know how northstar is. Does it compare to whistler at all?? and if anyone could post some pics thad be great.
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
Stinkyboy58 said:
hey just went to whistler this last summer and i wanted to plan another trip for next summer. i live in southern cal. and i was looking at northstar tahoe. i wanted to to know how northstar is. Does it compare to whistler at all?? and if anyone could post some pics thad be great.
Never been to Whistler but try to get to N* few times a year. Need to check out Downieville also 12+ miles shuttle runs.
http://www.msdhw.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=16
 

·
Now with flavor!!
Joined
·
5,613 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
come on now...Whistler is what all things are judged against....
Dude..............

As someone who actually rides northstar every weekend during the summer..........

You could not possibly be more correct.

If it's a tossup for any reason.............WHISTLER. Nothing else comes close to the density of "stuff" to ride.
 

·
N* Bomber Crew
Joined
·
4,271 Posts
I've been going to Northstar for many years now...just over the past summer I spent a lot of time riding there....and I absolutley love it.

Now I haven't been to Whistler...but I think its a un-fair comparrison. Northstar is a completley different terrain than I usually see. Its very rocky, dry, dusty, and technical. 4-5 Runs will proabobly wear you out if you're moving at good speed. Mix high altitude with it and you gotta drink lots of water!

The trails themselves are a blast (Or at least I think so). There is quite a big "level" of difficulty jump. The smoother trails with mixed small rocky areas are rated Blue Squares. The Black Diamonds I like the most I think. They have the right amount of difficulty, but not so technical that you can't bomb it. Pho Dogg, Flameout (At the top) and Speed Control are total blasts.

To do possibly the most technical riding you'll see...the Double Black DIamond trails are there for you. My absolutle favorite trail (Karpiel) is a double black, but is a LOT of fun. Snaking through the trees with sudden drops and rock gardens are really fun! Sticks and Stones and Dogbone are proabobly your hardest trails. They are VERY technical. One run on them and you will be worn out.

Overall...For it being the only Northern California lift acessable bike park I think its a lot of fun. A vacation there won't be anything like Whistler...but take what you get. I would love to go to Whistler, but since Northstar is close to me, my friend has a cabin, and its relativley cheap...Northstar is my home for the summer.

If you want some more in-depth details I can more than happily spill them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
Stinkyboy58 said:
hey just went to whistler this last summer and i wanted to plan another trip for next summer. i live in southern cal. and i was looking at northstar tahoe. i wanted to to know how northstar is. Does it compare to whistler at all?? and if anyone could post some pics thad be great.
North* is fun for about 4 runs, then it sucks. Whistler on the other hand, is like you died and went to mountain bike heaven.
The worst thing ever is to go ride whistler for a few days, come back home and ride North* a week later. Very depressing. :(
 

·
~~~~~~~~
Joined
·
5,931 Posts
zachdank said:
North* is fun for about 4 runs, then it sucks. Whistler on the other hand, is like you died and went to mountain bike heaven.
The worst thing ever is to go ride whistler for a few days, come back home and ride North* a week later. Very depressing. :(
post whistler neurolgical entropy depression (pwned), has been reported in all 50 states.
way worse than the bird flu....
 

·
Now with flavor!!
Joined
·
5,613 Posts
keeping it pinned for 10 runs straight at northstar makes it fun.......plus gives you valuable drifting skills that bring all the boys to the yard
cuz my roosts are better than yours

.......dayum right, they're better than yours, my ripped off knobs bring the boys to the yard.........

It still doesn't make it whistler though. :)



there's actual mud at a few places at sandies........hallelujah!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
kidwoo said:
keeping it pinned for 10 runs straight at northstar makes it fun.......plus gives you valuable drifting skills that bring all the boys to the yard
cuz my roosts are better than yours

.......dayum right, they're better than yours, my ripped off knobs bring the boys to the yard.........

It still doesn't make it whistler though. :)

there's actual mud at a few places at sandies........hallelujah!!!
i have no idea what you just said, but it sounded cool.
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,000 Posts
kidwoo said:
keeping it pinned for 10 runs straight at northstar makes it fun.......plus gives you valuable drifting skills that bring all the boys to the yard
cuz my roosts are better than yours
.......dayum right, they're better than yours, my ripped off knobs bring the boys to the yard.........
It still doesn't make it whistler though. :)
there's actual mud at a few places at sandies........hallelujah!!!
racer johnny of north meet racer johnny of the south...alloy...like I said you 2 should get together...and yes he is really cute :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
kidwoo said:
keeping it pinned for 10 runs straight at northstar makes it fun.......plus gives you valuable drifting skills that bring all the boys to the yard
cuz my roosts are better than yours

.......dayum right, they're better than yours, my ripped off knobs bring the boys to the yard.........
:D

hehehe
 

·
Now with flavor!!
Joined
·
5,613 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
racer johnny of north meet racer johnny of the south...alloy...like I said you 2 should get together...and yes he is really cute :p
racin' sux

Beep Beep Booooooop
(insert fun here)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
racer johnny of north meet racer johnny of the south...alloy...like I said you 2 should get together...and yes he is really cute :p
Kidwoo ain't racer jonny of the north. He is just another freehucker that rides fast like the rest of us. Everyone can ride fast in their own backyard. Now alloy, on the other hand, is a freak of nature, kind of like BK, but much smoother. :D
 
G

·
zachdank said:
Kidwoo ain't racer jonny of the north. He is just another freehucker that rides fast like the rest of us. Everyone can ride fast in their own backyard. Now alloy, on the other hand, is a freak of nature, kind of like BK, but much smoother. :D
really
 

·
Now with flavor!!
Joined
·
5,613 Posts
zachdank said:
Kidwoo ain't racer jonny of the north. He is just another freehucker that rides fast like the rest of us. Everyone can ride fast in their own backyard.
That's it. Race for beer in your backyard.

I got my stars and stripes speed-o tard. Your baggy jeans and sweatshirt are no match.

I'm tired of diggin. I want to ride something chico-side.
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top