Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Jay > VT50

Um, well, let's see. You start off the Jay Challenge (which will be an epic 68 mile race this year) with a 3 mile climb up Jay Peak which is ~2100ft of climbing. You then descend off Jay Peak over water bars holding on for dear life. After that you'll be greated by amazing support, super friendly and helpful volunteers and not once will you fear running over a runner or waking up horribly early to make the start time.

The course itself is unrelenting. There is never really a place to relax and you'll have to be on the ball 100% of the time. I don't find the VT50 to be a very technical course and you could probably do it with some low profile tires. However with Jay, it's an actual epic mountain bike course. Complete with crazy technical descents, jaw dropping climbs, and many fun little single track sections.

I did Jay and VT50 last year and I'd have to say that Jay is where it's at. It's a great race, at a great venue and plenty of community support. If you're a climber or simply want an epic day to brag to your friends about, Jay is it!
.nathan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
Am I reading this right ?

700ft of elevation per mile for 3 miles ? That sounds kinda' challenging. Are those numbers right?
nathasm said:
Um, well, let's see. You start off the Jay Challenge (which will be an epic 68 mile race this year) with a 3 mile climb up Jay Peak which is ~2100ft of climbing. You then descend off Jay Peak over water bars holding on for dear life. After that you'll be greated by amazing support, super friendly and helpful volunteers and not once will you fear running over a runner or waking up horribly early to make the start time.

The course itself is unrelenting. There is never really a place to relax and you'll have to be on the ball 100% of the time. I don't find the VT50 to be a very technical course and you could probably do it with some low profile tires. However with Jay, it's an actual epic mountain bike course. Complete with crazy technical descents, jaw dropping climbs, and many fun little single track sections.

I did Jay and VT50 last year and I'd have to say that Jay is where it's at. It's a great race, at a great venue and plenty of community support. If you're a climber or simply want an epic day to brag to your friends about, Jay is it!
.nathan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Those numbers are VERY right

RyderX said:
700ft of elevation per mile for 3 miles ? That sounds kinda' challenging. Are those numbers right?
Yes, those numbers are correct. They don't call it Jay Challenge for nothing. You are essentially climbing a mountain that people ski down. It hurts and everyone in the field was off their bikes about 2/3 of the way up. It's a great way to break the field up for the upcoming single track. Elevation Profile

VT50 uses a couple of hills to break it up but in reality, there's still a cluster coming into the first singletrack. Not so much with Jay.
.nathan.
 

·
zeebot
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
He's very right with that first climb. It's pretty ridiculous and definitely filters out the group within the first 10 or 15 minutes. I did it on my SS last July and had a blast. While I haven't done the VT 50 from all accounts I've heard there really isn't a comparison as far as difficulty goes. jay is harder.

If I'm in town I'll be back for sure. Had a great time. Dan is a really cool guy and does an amazing job organizing the 3 events.
 

·
one less car
Joined
·
122 Posts
Spookykinkajou said:
If I'm in town I'll be back for sure. Had a great time. Dan is a really cool guy and does an amazing job organizing the 3 events.
Dan is a really nice guy and does a great job organizing the race, but a complete masochist in course design! I was cursing his name by about mile 40 last year, but also can't wait to get-out there and tackle his course again this year.

The VT50 was a lot of fun, while the Jay60 was downright tough. Since the Jay is a new race, there were only about 75-80 of us doing the race last year, so it was easy to find yourself alone after the climb up Jay. Dan is allowing 250 mtbikers and I'm hoping we get that many - the more folks in the race the more fun it'll be...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Spookykinkajou said:
He's very right with that first climb. It's pretty ridiculous and definitely filters out the group within the first 10 or 15 minutes. I did it on my SS last July and had a blast. While I haven't done the VT 50 from all accounts I've heard there really isn't a comparison as far as difficulty goes. jay is harder.

If I'm in town I'll be back for sure. Had a great time. Dan is a really cool guy and does an amazing job organizing the 3 events.
I'm tempted to head out there this year on my SS.

What gearing did you run?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top