Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine was in the Springs on Saturday and mentioned he didn't see "as much" snow as we've got up here near Chatfield State Park.

What's the word on rideable trails down south?

JL

·
Registered
897 Posts
Not yet

Nothing yet. Everything still has snow on it. It's melting though. Exposed areas should be snow free by now but area with trees will take longer. There was a large area between Fountain and Pueblo that is snow free but I don't think there are any trails in that area.

Chris

·
Banned
29 Posts
Rode Ute Valley

JLampitt said:
A buddy of mine was in the Springs on Saturday and mentioned he didn't see "as much" snow as we've got up here near Chatfield State Park.

What's the word on rideable trails down south?

JL
Sunday about 9:00AM, and the trails are mostly snow packed w/ lotsa ice- exposed and under the powder- but it was all good. As long as you here that crunchy sound under your tires your OK, when you don't here it you are on solid ice. Will probably check Palmer later in the week, we are going to be in the 50's here for a few days- DAMN!, first the blizzards, now the muck!

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
I have been riding Ute Valley and Palmer for about dozen ride during last 3 weeks. Right now Palmer is as good as I have seen in two months but you will encounter variable condition (packed snow, ice, and frozen mud). Just finish your ride by 9:30am or ride at night to avoid sun melt and muddy trail. Especially this week with warm spell.

Pictures are taken from Palmer just last weekend. Ute Valley is very similar. I have not ridden any Cheyenne mt trails in two months. Red Rock trail might be another good one if you ride early morning or at night.

Attachments

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
I bet the canyon is icy and mucky in spots but not as bad as Palmer or Ute, with all the meltage this week it might be fun to try and get up to CJ's, might be icy with the snowpack melting and refreezing though. I'm gonna give the Sante fe trail a shot on the cross bike Wed most likely, probably do mid day so hopefully not too mucky, anyone been on it lately?

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
SingleTrackHound said:
Just finish your ride by 9:30am or ride at night to avoid sun melt and muddy trail. Especially this week with warm spell.
Good caveat--thanks for mentioning it and I wanted to double stress it posting it again.

I find myself with a large amout of free time now during the day--anyone want to ride early Friday morning in the Park?

·
Registered
444 Posts
kristian said:
Good caveat--thanks for mentioning it and I wanted to double stress it posting it again.

I find myself with a large amout of free time now during the day--anyone want to ride early Friday morning in the Park?
Kristian, I might be up for a ride on Friday morning. What time are you thinking of going?

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
I've got an appt Fri am or I would attend, what's up Kman?

BonkedAgain- thanks for the report, I'm gonna get out tomm after today's meltage and the cooler temps tomm, hoping I can get a little farther north of the N entrance.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
rroeder said:
I've got an appt Fri am or I would attend, what's up Kman?
Not much. I quit my job the other week, but have been too busy with the search for a new one to ride anything other than the rollers in the basement. I'm stoked for a chance to get out on Friday.

Joe, let's say 7:00am instead of 6:45. The weather people make it sound like it might be colder longer on Friday which would be nice. Sorry you can't make it Rick.

Cheers to all,
K

·
Registered
444 Posts
kristian said:
Joe, let's say 7:00am instead of 6:45. The weather people make it sound like it might be colder longer on Friday which would be nice. Sorry you can't make it Rick.

Cheers to all,
K
Kristian/Joe, I am planning on making it. You still on for 7:00am tomorrow?

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
Ohhh... I'd like to participate, but I'm headed up to Keystone tonight through Sunday. You kids have a good time. (I'm having pedal envy)

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
I rode Palmer Park this morning (Thu) from 7:30am to 9am. Trail should be fine tommorow morning at 7am. It was high 20 deg this morning and trail was all frozen soild. It was foggy all morning so condition never changed when I finished the ride at 9am. Nice and firm snow, icy spots here & there and much more dry section along with increased muddy sections that are frozen. It's pretty obvious that this warm spell is changing the trail condition daily. Muddy spots appearing more frequently but nothing very long. When warm, riding during day time & even early evening will NOT be fun!:yikes: Bike will be covered in mud and I doubt all those sections will be even ridable if anyone tried. Riding at 7am is should deliver much fun and I am going to take off my studded tires and put my normal tires back on next time I ride at Palmer.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
JOEMTBR COLORADO said:
I am not going to ride, did the incline twice this week including today, hour and twenty. I know not great but still fun, have a good ride.
Bummer Joe. Maybe we can hook up some morning next week (or maybe by then it will dry out enough that we don't need to do a morning).

Cheers,
K

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.