Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've got a bizarre howling noise coming from my rear Hayes Mag. I have all linkage and brake mount bolts torqued correctly, I've messed around with the angle of the caliper and it seems perfect, I've cleaned the rotor and the pads are relatively new Galfer reds. It will howl for about ten seconds, really loud, and then fade away if I keep on the brake hard. Yesterday I took my pads out to have a look and noticed that 1) One piston is a little farther out than the other, even though they both move freely, and 2) one piston has a small chunk missing from it. Could this missing bit of piston be causing some weird vibration and hence the howl?

Thanks for any advice!

-Andy

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
If the pistons are not seating into the caliper properly they may be moving at different times causing a vibration due to drag. Being that one piston is damaged it wouldnt hurt to get a caliper rebuild kit, be sure to lube the piston seal give it a good bleed then center the caliper wit two .015 feeler gauges. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
howling hayes

before you spend money or unnecessarily take it apart
try this, get some emory cloth or a sandpaper (100-200 grit) sand down the pads a little
and the rotor also. bicycle brakes glaze up really easy. you want to break that glazing, that's why they howl.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.