Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just signed up for the Howell Mountain Challenge in Angwin - Pacific Union College.
Cat 2 M 45-54. My goal is to get under 2 hours on the new carbon Blur race bike (vs 2:01:30 on the Superlight last year).

Menso is doing the race as well. Who else is going?

·
menace to myself & others
365 Posts
In. Sport Single Speed. Also shooting for something under 2 hours, although the way my season's going, I should be shooting for no major mechanicals or crashes.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I should be there. Cat1/expert 19-34. Should be interesting, it'll be my first time doing 3 laps. I think I'll shoot for sub 2:40.

·
Registered
583 Posts
This was my 1st race as Cat 2, I upgraded there on the spot with the USA rep. I felt cheated by driving all the way up there and only doing 1 lap so I said screw it and upgraded haha. Last year was my first race season, so I would like to do this again as Cat 2 but a "veteran" cat 2 racer :)

My last year's time was 2 hour 13 minutes, 16th out of 22 for 19-34. I shaved 33 minutes off my Downieville time this year and did really well in Cat 2 at NVDC, so I hope to shave some time on this course, sub 2 hours sounds good.

Here is GPS link from last year, 2 laps..

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10974507

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
I will likely go - never been in that place. I really should keep racing as a beginner, as I am naturally slow, and that does not seem to change over years. :) But sounds like it is not a very long loop - so I can just go to guarantee you will not be the last Cat 2 guy in 35-44.

Is this a hardtail friendly course?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'll be there!

Love this race; did this one and NVDC last year as a beginner, am excited to return in Cat2!

@Curmy: I rode this and NVDC on a hardtail last year and didn't suffer too badly. Not a super tech run by any stretch.

-b

·
Registered
71 Posts
These are my local trails, and they are dusty this year! Also, the poison oak seems to be out of control this year, so bring your Technu.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Forecast looks alot cooler than last year. I remember driving up the hill last year at 8 a.m. and it was nearly 90 degrees! Look forward to seeing some of the expert racers sandbagging in the sport class!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
12to29 said:
Look forward to seeing some of the expert racers sandbagging in the sport class!

No Way!! That would never happen at Howell Mtn Challenge:rolleyes:
They even bag the clydesdale class:skep:

·
enter and win
727 Posts
I yam!

JL de Jong said:
I just signed up for the Howell Mountain Challenge in Angwin - Pacific Union College.
Cat 2 M 45-54. My goal is to get under 2 hours on the new carbon Blur race bike (vs 2:01:30 on the Superlight last year).

Menso is doing the race as well. Who else is going?
Sport women 35 plus. Gonna be tough with all these young 'uns.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
742 Posts
I was there and I had to leave right after the race so I didn't get a chance to see the ranking. Personally I rode about 5-6 mins faster than 08, so that make me happy. I had a lot of fun, that course is a great mix of all course conditions. Thank you again for putting this race on. I am looking forward to the updates from others.

·
Registered
558 Posts
What great weather huh? Much better than last year's 100+ that's for sure! I was just a tad slower than last year, less than a minute. But last year I didn't crash or flat and yesterday I did both! Doh.

·
more skier than biker
2,348 Posts
Indeed that was some great weather and conditions this year at Howell. Woke up in Napa Saturday morning to gray skys and even a little bit of drizzle which continued along on our drive up to Howell. Start was what, mid-60's? and fog? Then pretty cool to ride through to blue skys as we entered the first singletrack section and then top out in the 80's. Course conditions were great. Even the loose, techy switchback turns were really fun.

Last year this race was my first race as a Cat 1 single speeder and I got crushed. I think my time in 2009 was 2:53 or something...15 minutes or so off the leaders. This year went much better :) Surprised myself and got a 2:34 for the win in Cat 1 single speed...but it was a close race, 2nd place was only a little over a minute behind and 3rd 4th 5th were stacked up pretty close as well. Paul Janney won Pro single speed with a 2:28. I caught him about half way through the first lap, but then when he realized I was a single speeder dropped me quick. I still have lots of work to do if I want to get to that level!

Clintox and Menso -- I have a good pic of your pro podium. I will post it later today. Congrats to you both!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts