Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished, rides and looks like a dream.

Gearing is 36x18

16" frame #75
Adjustable Avid brakelevers for XTR front AND WTB-rollercam rearbrake.
XTR 180 cranks
Rock Shox Psylo
Voodoo steel stem
Titec Ti Hellbent bars
Oury's
White eccentric R-hub
White freewheel
Front White Tracker Titanium F-hub
Syncros Ti seatpost
Brooks Swift Ti
Ringle headset and seatpost QR
WTB Velociraptor F & R

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK, SHOULD I LOOSE
THE DERAILLEURHANGER FOR GOOD ????

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stem was given to me for free

by a friend who works in a bikeshop. I guess it's a stock Voodoo-stem that got replaced.

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Newsboy said:
SO WHAT DO YOU THINK, SHOULD I LOOSE
THE DERAILLEURHANGER FOR GOOD ????
I would not alter the frame. That is a sweet ride. In terms of looks, the fork looks out of place, maybe just the color or something.

That bike is one of my all-time dream bikes. There was one like that in the LBS for a while, and some random dude came in and bought it last summer.
But yesterday there was a IF ti 29er eccentric BB frame that looked so sweet hanging in the shop. Pink decals! It's for a guy that posts here sometimes as 'pedsrfski'.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Blasphemy.

Whatever you do, don't alter the frame. I woulod, however, ditch the fork as others have mentioned. I'd go for a nice rigid like a sycip or a vicious. Something along those lines.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Nice 1st gen Newsboy!

I always thought the first round of Newsboys looked better than the latter ones. The curves got too extreme on the newers ones.

Stick with the suspension fork, although the white lowers would look beater in black IMO.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Great looking bike

One of my all time favorites.... If you ever decide to sell or trade it away, please contact me. I missed the first and second editions and have been looking for one for years.

None the less, great bike, build it and ride it the way you want.

JS

·
Registered
22 Posts
Newsboy's are just lovely

Great bike, and as others have said, keep the hanger. If you remove it you'll still have to use the ENO rear hub to get the chain tight, unless of course you get horizontals welded on.

But for such a classic (and valuable!) frame as that, I wouldn't alter any of it.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
That bike is amazing! I think he was joking about removing the derailleur hanger. At least thats what comes to my mind they way he typed it in caps and $hit. The Newsboys were always my favorite Merlins except maybe those old ones with the elevated chainstays. I just love elevated chainstays. I think the fork looks fine. Black might look better but the white isnt weird or anything.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Black w/setback seat post.

TheRedMantra said:
Black might look better but the white isnt weird or anything.
Here's black with white trim, and fork that matches perfectly. Also how you can have a very fine single speed project completed for about $30. Setback post is a special completed by wife's heavy father doing some off road action.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts