Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I walked into a bike shop with a new Race Face Diabolus headset and explained that I wanted them to install it because I had sheared off the cups on the first set I had and on the second set, I started hearing a creak and wanted to replace it before it got any worse. The reason for going with the Diabolus was because it was deeper and would provide much more surface area to minimize movement.

He asked me " why didn't I buy a set of Chris Kings"??

Did I not mention that the set I had in was making a creaking sound and I wanted to put something in deeper?? What would the Kings have accomplished??

Was he trying to belittle me for not buying the best?? Was he trying to sell me without listening to me??

It didn't bother me too much till I started looking at it another way:

What if:

You just bought a new house and had a party and one of your guests walks up and asks "why didn't you buy your house at a certain "other" nice location??

You buy your wife a brand new Mercedes and after she shows it off to her friends, one of them asks " why didn't he buy you the Porsche??".

Your thoughts......

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Chris King is precision, but your not lookin for the smoothest feel you can get but somethin you can throw off a cliff. Maby you should check another shop for the labor, he may screw it up :p

Its like someone who lives in the woods and needs to offroad all the time and wants to buy a 4 wheel drive pickup and one of the guys after the fact askin him why he diddnt buy a Porch. thats a bit more accurate comparison :p

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Cause he thinks they're better and you've clearly had problems with the RF. If you're insulted, check your estrogen levels.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
Just another idiot...

I bet I've heard even stupider things come out of bike shop employees faces. One of my favirites is... "riding on pavement is very,VERY bad for your full suspention bike...because of the vibration":rolleyes:

Can anyone top that?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
YaMon said:
I walked into a bike shop with a new Race Face Diabolus headset and explained that I wanted them to install it because I had sheared off the cups on the first set I had and on the second set, I started hearing a creak and wanted to replace it before it got any worse. The reason for going with the Diabolus was because it was deeper and would provide much more surface area to minimize movement.

Did I not mention that the set I had in was making a creaking sound and I wanted to put something in deeper?? What would the Kings have accomplished??

Was he trying to belittle me for not buying the best?? Was he trying to sell me without listening to me??

What if:

You just bought a new house and had a party and one of your guests walks up and asks "why didn't you buy your house at a certain "other" nice location??

You buy your wife a brand new Mercedes and after she shows it off to her friends, one of them asks " why didn't he buy you the Porsche??".

Your thoughts......
Dude, how many different versions of your whining are you going to post in how many different forums?

There's this one and these others?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=205822

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2002295#post2002295

All basically saying a slightly different version of the same story.

B...O...R...I...N...G

You got your headset installed, how about going out and riding your bike? :eekster:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't feed Trolls....

Max99 said:
Dude, how many different versions of your whining are you going to post in how many different forums?

There's this one and these others?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=205822

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2002295#post2002295

All basically saying a slightly different version of the same story.

B...O...R...I...N...G

You got your headset installed, how about going out and riding your bike? :eekster:
And this was not included in the previous posts. I wanted to get a completely different post going with unbiased responses. You don't have to respond if you don't like it. Makes me wonder if you are the idiot mechanic in the first place.:ciappa: ,

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the detail...and misunderstanding

AlliKat said:
Cause he thinks they're better and you've clearly had problems with the RF. If you're insulted, check your estrogen levels.
The first set was some cheap ass Cane Creek S2's. Second set was a shaved set of Pig DH's. It was shaved because I could not find anyone to ream the headtube and wanted to ride.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OOhhh I am shaking....

Max99 said:
Nope, not a mechanic, but can't wait to meet you on the trails. It's a small town buddy :)
Not too smart either. I go through the trouble of starting a completely new thread because I feel bad that the shop might get identified and what do you do??? Link it back....:madman: . You sure you like this bike shop???

Ya know, you really aren't very smart with a comment like that one either, how many people do you think will see it??

UNBELIEVABLE....:eek:ut: .

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
YaMon said:
Not too smart either. I go through the trouble of starting a completely new thread because I feel bad that the shop might get identified and what do you do??? Link it back....:madman: . You sure you like this bike shop???

Ya know, you really aren't very smart with a comment like that one either, how many people do you think will see it??

UNBELIEVABLE....:eek:ut: .
A comment like what, I can't wait to meet you on the trails? It's true, I can't wait. I'm sure when you aren't biatching about bike shops and you are actually riding your bike you are probably a cool guy.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
YaMon said:

What if:

Your thoughts......
Hmmmm.......CK Steelset sets farther into the frame than just about anything.:thumbsup:

mtnbikej

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll buy the first round.....

Max99 said:
A comment like what, I can't wait to meet you on the trails? It's true, I can't wait. I'm sure when you aren't biatching about bike shops and you are actually riding your bike you are probably a cool guy.
And it better not be Budweiser :D .

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As it was.....

mtnbikej said:
Hmmmm.......CK Steelset sets farther into the frame than just about anything.:thumbsup:

mtnbikej
The bike shop that did the reaming did not have a special extension required to ream the headtube deep enough. It got to about 1/16" and I had to grind off the lip used to center the cups on the headtube.

The only way for me to have gotten a set of Chris King Steel installed was to ship it out to one of those shops in California to have done and that was not an option.

The steel setup with the Race Face should be plenty strong.

Now, gotta try and setup bike tomorrow and take a ride and hopefully meet up with MAX99 ao that I can buy him that beer :skep: .

Sorry bout the smiles...just love those guys.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
YaMon said:

What if:

Your thoughts......
I don't know why you're making a storm out of a glass of water. I don't know the whole thing between the shop and you, but it's a fair question. Like it or not, for some people king stuff is the best (and it could be), so asking for that it' s ok.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.